Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone connecting to unknown bluetooth device

While at work, my iPhone (iPhone SE, iOS 10.1.1) keeps connecting to a bluetooth device labeled "pwnix-b8aeed7f4c0a". It randomly connects with no interaction from me and just as randomly disconnects. It oddly does not have the "i" next to it that I can select for other devices and tell the phone to forget them. I've started turning off bluetooth while at work since I have no idea what this is and whether it is attempting some sort of malicious action. Does anybody have any idea what this is and how to prevent my iPhone from connecting to it? Even more important, is there any way to know if my phone has been compromised or if any data has been stolen?

iPhone SE, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2016 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2017 2:35 PM

The most you can do is to turn off bluetooth so it cannot connect to the iPhone.

Beyond that there's no way to know what the device is probing for, but the iPhone is secure enough it will not be getting much if any info out of it other than BT MAC address and name.

8 replies

Feb 15, 2017 1:37 PM in response to Jeremy Borchert

My iPhone (6 Plus, iOS 10.2.1) also interacts with this device the exact same way. It says it is connected for about 7 seconds and then drops without any interaction from me. It does this whether I am in the bluetooth setting screen or not. I know this as it interrupts the connection to my AirPods each time. The AirPods cut out although they show to still be connected both up top (headphone icon) and in the bluetooth setting screen.

Feb 15, 2017 2:19 PM in response to Phil0124

I contacted our IT department and this is what they told me:

"The device your phone is connecting to is in fact an ##### owned security device."

So this is something our company is using to probe bluetooth devices in our office. I'm uncomfortable with this device connecting to my phone without my permission. Is there any way to block it or track what it is doing?

Dec 16, 2016 9:13 AM in response to Jeremy Borchert

What kind of word do you do? Are there any other Bluetooth devices around work, such as speakers, hand-held devices such as UPC readers, etc.? Seems there are some type of Bluetooth devices there. Does it say connected, or is it just appearing in your list? Since you say you do not see the ℹ to identify if further, I'm curious if it is connected or just appearing.

Dec 16, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Jeremy Borchert

If there is no ℹ to Forget it, then it has not connected. The ℹ appears only once a successful connection has been established. Otherwise there's nothing to forget.

It may just be finding it nearby and giving you the option to connect to it. If you are in the Bluetooth settings page it will scan for nearby devices as it assumes you wish to connect to one.

Since the iPhone's operating system is sand boxed nothing malicious can be done over bluetooth and no access is granted to any of the system sections.

Dec 16, 2016 9:39 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I work for a medical device company. Our office is in a typical office building with a number of other companies. As far as bluetooth devices in my office I think a few of my coworkers have bluetooth speakers but nothing else as far as I am aware of. It does appear to be connecting as it shows up in the "My Devices" list and says "connected". The screenshot below shows what it looks like when it is connected.

User uploaded file

iPhone connecting to unknown bluetooth device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.