You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I no longer have access to old device to verify keychain

I want to setup keychain on my device but don't have the old phone number that verification code is sent to.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Dec 16, 2016 12:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 6:04 PM

*** I've spent 7 years creating and saving 100's of passwords, and now because I was forced to turn off WiFi, I have to reset everyone. I saved the iCloud code in a lockbox & entered it correctly. The only reason I just reset my device, was because Apple devices never properly sync wt Ciloud.

Sometimes people change their phone number. There has to be another way around this, and if their isn't, no more iPads, iPhones, or iMacs for me. EVER

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2017 6:04 PM in response to ZintainUSA

*** I've spent 7 years creating and saving 100's of passwords, and now because I was forced to turn off WiFi, I have to reset everyone. I saved the iCloud code in a lockbox & entered it correctly. The only reason I just reset my device, was because Apple devices never properly sync wt Ciloud.

Sometimes people change their phone number. There has to be another way around this, and if their isn't, no more iPads, iPhones, or iMacs for me. EVER

Aug 25, 2017 6:16 PM in response to goins353

i found a solution and wanted to help anyone else with this problem. press set up as new iphone. then press make new apple id. after that there will be small letters somewhere on the screen do not use apple id. go through the process clicking the prompts that come up then log in after the phone is activated and you will be able to get your verification text. then set up through icloud setting and let everything sync.

Dec 17, 2016 7:58 PM in response to goins353

Hi goins353,

I understand that you are trying to set up iCloud Keychain on a new device, but you do not have a previously set up iOS device to receive the verification code. I know it's important to have iCloud Keychain set up on your devices to sync your passwords, so I'm happy to help.

Check out what this article has to say about this topic:

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

How do I set up iCloud Keychain on a new device without another device to approve from?

If you can't access any of your other devices that are using iCloud Keychain, you can still set up iCloud Keychain on another device if you have these items:

• Your iCloud Security Code
  • The device that is using the SMS-capable phone number you provided when you first set up iCloud Keychain. A verification code is sent via SMS to this phone number. If you can't access this number, contact Apple Support, who can verify your identity, so that you can complete setup on your new device.

After you complete the setup, your iCloud Keychain will be pushed from the cloud to the new device.

If you use two-factor authentication with your Apple ID, enter your password and the six-digit verification code that's automatically displayed on your trusted devices and authorize the new device. Then turn on iCloud Keychain.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

I no longer have access to old device to verify keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.