Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not disable external drive Journaling with Sierra disk Utility

macOS Sierra version 10.12.2 on MacBook Pro mid 2014

I am attempting to disable journaling on an external hard drive, using disk utility in MacOS Sierra. Holding down OPTION key and choosing Disk Utility-->File drop down menu does not give me the choice. Also Enable Journaling choice in the drop down menu is grayed out. Disk Info indicates that the disk is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Your help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Dec 16, 2016 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2017 2:51 PM

You've probably already figured the solution out, or just moved on, but I had the same problem and this is how I resolved it; by using 'diskutil' instead of 'Disk Utility'.

Launch Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type:

diskutil list

From the list find the partition you want to remove journaling (e.g. /dev/disk3s2). If you are having a hard time finding the device name using 'diskutil' launch Disk Utility, select the drive you want to turn off journaling and in the information at the bottom you'll see "Device: disk3s2". With that you can use the command below, just make sure to add "/dev/" before that string.

With the device name/path in hand now enter this command (replacing the path listed below with yours):

diskutil disableJournal /dev/disk3s2

Now launching Disk Utility you'll see the drive is no longer journaled.

Note: You don't need to use 'sudo' but must have ownership permissions to the drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2017 2:51 PM in response to Rambod Poursalimi

You've probably already figured the solution out, or just moved on, but I had the same problem and this is how I resolved it; by using 'diskutil' instead of 'Disk Utility'.

Launch Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type:

diskutil list

From the list find the partition you want to remove journaling (e.g. /dev/disk3s2). If you are having a hard time finding the device name using 'diskutil' launch Disk Utility, select the drive you want to turn off journaling and in the information at the bottom you'll see "Device: disk3s2". With that you can use the command below, just make sure to add "/dev/" before that string.

With the device name/path in hand now enter this command (replacing the path listed below with yours):

diskutil disableJournal /dev/disk3s2

Now launching Disk Utility you'll see the drive is no longer journaled.

Note: You don't need to use 'sudo' but must have ownership permissions to the drive.

Can not disable external drive Journaling with Sierra disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.