Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete pictures on my camera roll, will they be deleted in iCloud

If I delete pictures on my camera roll, will they be deleted in iCloud? I am new to apple and wondering if we should keep internal storage on phone or buy cloud storage. If we delete pix from internal camera roll, will they stay in icloud

Posted on Dec 16, 2016 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2016 3:04 AM

Hi

Options for managing photos on iPhone and for keeping copies elsewhere or backing them up include:

Enable iCloud Photo Library.

• Copies of all photos and videos on your iPhone are stored automatically in iCloud at their original size / resolution.
  • You may also wish to turn on Optimise iPhone Storage. This frees up storage space on your iPhone by keeping space saving versions of all of your photos and videos on your iPhone and full size originals in iCloud. Files are optimised automatically, as required.
  • When using iCloud Photo Library, deleting a photo or video on any device that is using the service also deletes it from all other devices that are using the service, including from iCloud.
  • iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Import photos and videos to your PC:

If not using iCloud Photo Library, back up your iPhone using iTunes or iCloud:

You may find these support resources helpful:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2016 3:04 AM in response to Newiphone7

Hi

Options for managing photos on iPhone and for keeping copies elsewhere or backing them up include:

Enable iCloud Photo Library.

• Copies of all photos and videos on your iPhone are stored automatically in iCloud at their original size / resolution.
  • You may also wish to turn on Optimise iPhone Storage. This frees up storage space on your iPhone by keeping space saving versions of all of your photos and videos on your iPhone and full size originals in iCloud. Files are optimised automatically, as required.
  • When using iCloud Photo Library, deleting a photo or video on any device that is using the service also deletes it from all other devices that are using the service, including from iCloud.
  • iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Import photos and videos to your PC:

If not using iCloud Photo Library, back up your iPhone using iTunes or iCloud:

You may find these support resources helpful:

Dec 16, 2016 8:41 PM in response to Newiphone7

You asked the question twice two different ways, but know, when you use iCloud it syncs photos across all devices, if you delete a photo anywhere on any device it will delete it on ALL devices.

BUT, on your iPhone you can change a setting to "Optimize Storage" so on your phone if it needs space it will keep a lower resolution (Smaller File) and leave the original untouched on iCloud.

If I delete pictures on my camera roll, will they be deleted in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.