Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when working offline I continue to receive the following pop-up itunes could not connect to the itunes store. started happening with the latest version 12.5.4.

When using iTunes offline on my MacBook I keep getting this error message and I don't want connect to the internet. This sounds like a bug in the latest version.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, iOS 10, MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Dec 17, 2016 4:10 AM

7 replies

Jan 13, 2017 6:21 AM in response to spegahsheen

The temporary solution suggested by Pranab is working for me on my MacBook Pro. As long as I have an internet connection when I launch iTunes I don't get any further warnings. If there is no wifi I use my phone to create a hotspot I can connect to. Of course this is of no use if you are on an aircraft where your device is in airplane safe mode. Hopefully Apple will rectify the problem soon.

Dec 17, 2016 5:16 AM in response to dennisgsy

Hi Dennis! The iTunes dialogue box seems to be a widespread bug of iTunes 12.5.4. Currently a temporary workaround is: connect your Mac once to the internet, launch iTunes, the error will go away. You may disconnect from internet, but don't quit iTunes, you may keep it minimised, hidden. If you restart iTunes while offline, the error will reappear.

I talked with an AppleCare adviser about the issue, he will be in touch with iTunes engineering team. It may take some time before they can provide a solution or issues an update to fix the issue. Let's be patient until then 🙂😝

Dec 31, 2016 8:29 AM in response to dennisgsy

I am having a similar problem. When I run iTunes without an internet connection, an orange exclamation point icon appears in the top right corner of iTunes (version 12.5.4 on Windows 10 Home Anniversary Edition). The error message is something to the effect that iTunes could not make purchases available. These are TV shows and movies which I activated licenses through UltraViolet or other digital copy licensing.

The movies and tv shows will play, but the video stutters so badly they are unwatchable.

This is rather frustrating when I try to watch movies on long trips when internet is spotty (train), expensive (airplanes), or not available (car). This rather defeats the purpose of downloading movies to watch offline.

when working offline I continue to receive the following pop-up itunes could not connect to the itunes store. started happening with the latest version 12.5.4.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.