Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows 10 in native EFI mode on a 2010 MacPro 5,1 (no BootCamp)

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone can solve this once and for all, because I have been going crazy with the conflicting information I keep reading on-line. Here is the issue:

I am trying to install Windows 10 x64 in native EFI mode (not BootCamp) on my MacPro5,1 from 2010 with no luck. Yet I read the article HERE where a user named "2000one" posts a detailed description half way down of how he got it to work on a 2009 model MacPro4,1 upgraded to 5,1.

• My MacPro is a native 2010 MacPro5,1 Model, not some hacked 2009 4,1 firmware upgraded to 5,1.
  • My Boot ROM version is: MP51.007F.B03
  • My SMC version is: 1.39f11
  • I removed all disks from my MacPro, except for one fI wanted to install Windows 10 on
  • The remaining disk was GPT formatted (no MBR present)
  • Downloaded the Windows 10 x64 ISO directly from my Microsoft business account.
  • USB stick made bootable using the method described in link above, and then copied all the files from the ISO.
  • I removed the "bootmgr" and "bootmgr.efi" files from the USB stick to avoid BIOS/CMI boot and force EFI boot.
  • Booting this USB Windows installer (in EFI mode) in my Mid 2013 MacBook Air 6,2 works just fine, and launches the Windows installer, so I know the USB stick is working just fine.
  • Booting the same USB stick in the MacPro5,1 as described above, shows a Windows logo for a moment and then a blue error screen called "Recovery" with error 0xc0000225 and "Your PC/Device needs to be Repaired". Never got further than that.

What's very frustrating is that people are saying that they did manage to install Windows 10 in EFI native mode with the same hardware (see link above), while others are saying the EFI version on the MacPro5,1 is not supported by Windows 10.

Can anyone provide any insights to any other workaround and why all the conflicting reports?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 17, 2016 7:21 AM

15 replies

Dec 18, 2016 7:21 AM in response to Loner T

Hello LonerT and thanks for the reply.

Unsure what you mean by the "S: drive"... Macs don't care about drive letters.... Bootable USB drive with Windows 10 and "bootmgr" files removed is inserted in the from USB slot.

Here is the output of "diskutil list", after everything but the drive I want to instal Windows in native mode EFI is left inside.

MACPRO:~ $ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (external, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Microsoft Basic Data WIN10 1.0 TB disk0s2

Can anyone confirm that based on my Boot ROM and SMC listed in my original post that Windows 10 CAN be booted and subsequently installed in EFI mode on a 2010 MacPro5,1?

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2016 9:46 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the link LonerT I will review and try to follow.

The reason to install Windows 10 in EFI mode on my MacPro5,1 is to gain native AHCI performance from the disk. In BootCamp mode Windows gets installed in emulation mode so there is no native AHCI support.

You stated that my MacPro5,1 is pre UEFI support, then how are other people claiming to have successfully installed Windows 10 in EFI mode and achieved native AHCI support?

Thank you.

Dec 18, 2016 10:40 AM in response to SemoTech

Victory Schools wrote:

The reason to install Windows 10 in EFI mode on my MacPro5,1 is to gain native AHCI performance from the disk. In BootCamp mode Windows gets installed in emulation mode so there is no native AHCI support.

Can you post a link to where this assertion has been made? For example, on a 2012 MBP/Samsung 850Pro/W10 (Legacy BIOS) using Samsung Magician...

User uploaded file

Victory Schools wrote:

You stated that my MacPro5,1 is pre UEFI support, then how are other people claiming to have successfully installed Windows 10 in EFI mode and achieved native AHCI support?

The link you posted does indicate putting a MP5,1 firmware on an MP4,1. There are known issues when you do this. There is a discussion on MacRumours on the same subject which you should also look at.

Dec 19, 2016 5:57 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

I do not have access to my machine this instance but I did run Samsung Magician and it stated it was not running in AHCI mode. Hence the entire reason for my research and this thread. I will be glad to post a screenshot when I get in.

As for the firmware upgrade, the poster apparently died that in order to upgrade to/emulate a MacPro5,1. Nothing to be condoned there, however the interesting part is after that where the poster describes in detail the process for preparing the USB stick and the Mac Pro, and states he was successful in installing Windows 10 in EFI mode!

Regardless of that article, I ask again, does the MacPro5,1 support installing Windows 10 in pure EFI mode??

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2016 2:24 PM in response to Loner T

Hello Loner T, I am well aware of the MP4,1 and MP5,1 (2009 and 2010/2012 models), but nice of you to post the links to educate anyone else reading this.

Let's forget BootCamp and AHCI for now.

So you state that I SHOULD be able to install Windows 10 in EFI mode? In that case why I am getting a "Recovery" screen immediately when attempting to load the Windows 10 installer in EFI mode???

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2016 2:55 PM in response to SemoTech

Does your MP have a functional Optical drive? If yes, can you create a DVD from an ISO or Windows Media Creation tool, try to boot from the DVD using Alt/Option and select EFI Boot. The USB method is unlikely to work.

If you do not insist on EFI Boot, then you can install W7/W8.1 normally using a DVD, and then run an in-place upgrade to W10 which will also preserve working Apple BC drivers for Apple hardware.

W7 (Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support) / W8.1 (Use Windows 8.1 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support) are supported on your Mac model. This method also requires that you do not allow W10 to update any drivers. Security and other Software Updates from W10 are fine.

Dec 19, 2016 3:05 PM in response to Loner T

Yes, it does have a SuperDrive (DVD Drive), however burning the Windows 10 ISO onto a DVD will leave the "bootmgr" files in the root of the disk and the installer will boot in BIOS emulation mode, not EFI! That's the entire reason to use a USB stick. Said USB stick is working and bots fine on my 2013 MacBook Air.

Are you saying that a "customized" Bootable DVD of Windows 10 without the "bootmgr" files in the root would have better luck on the MP5,1 than a USB stick???

Dec 19, 2016 3:12 PM in response to SemoTech

Victory Schools wrote:

Yes, it does have a SuperDrive (DVD Drive), however burning the Windows 10 ISO onto a DVD will leave the "bootmgr" files in the root of the disk and the installer will boot in BIOS emulation mode, not EFI! That's the entire reason to use a USB stick. Said USB stick is working and bots fine on my 2013 MacBook Air.

If you use Alt/Option, you get a choice of EFI or BIOS (Windows) boot. There is no real need to remove any files. Your 2013 MBA is a UEFI Mac. As a test, you can build a normal USB installer on the 2013 MBA, boot and hold Alt/Option, and you will see two icons, Windows and EFI Boot.

Are you saying that a "customized" Bootable DVD of Windows 10 without the "bootmgr" files in the root would have better luck on the MP5,1 than a USB stick???

You do not need to remove any files, if the Alt/Option method shows you two separate bootable selections. Removing the files is causing additional confusion.

Dec 19, 2016 4:01 PM in response to Loner T

Good to know Loner T, guess removing the "bootmgr" files on the USB stick helped prevent "accidental" start into BIOS boot.

Anyway, I just tied with a burned DVD of Windows 10, chose "EFI boot" and same result: "Recovery" crash screen with error 0xc0000225.

Can ANYONE confirm proper booting of Windows 10 installer in EFI on a MacPro5,1? Is everyone else getting this boot error??? Is it my MacPro or all 2010 MacPro's. Need to put this to bed....

Installing Windows 10 in native EFI mode on a 2010 MacPro 5,1 (no BootCamp)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.