Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't type in password when logging in

Ever since I installed MacOS sierra, i have trouble logging in, when i first enter the login screen after turning on, the cursor is very slow, and when i click my account logo, it very slowly loads me to sign in page with password, but, i seem not be able to type in my password, as i can not clck the password box to bring up the typing, i also can not turn of my computer, and when i restart it, it has same problem, only issue, is to reboot my macbook into safe mode, and decrypt file vault, or just exit out of safe mode if file vault is already encrypted, can someone please help me? i dont want to have to boot into safe mode every time.

i have Macbook 12 2016

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), 2016 m3 Processor

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 2:23 PM

I called support and got a fix that helped: Turn your computer completely off. Next, locate the "Command" "Option" "P" and "R" keys. Be prepared to hold them down once you've turned on your mac. Turn on your mac and firmly hold down these four keys. You will hear the mac chime once. Keep holding the keys. You will hear the mac chime a second time. Release the keys. You may hear a third chime, or you may not. Either way, once the system resumes operation, the keyboard may be recognized once again.

The rep I talked to told me we were "zapping the PRAM". I found more about this process here: What does Command + Option + P + R actually do?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2016 2:23 PM in response to jeffreyfromkihei

I called support and got a fix that helped: Turn your computer completely off. Next, locate the "Command" "Option" "P" and "R" keys. Be prepared to hold them down once you've turned on your mac. Turn on your mac and firmly hold down these four keys. You will hear the mac chime once. Keep holding the keys. You will hear the mac chime a second time. Release the keys. You may hear a third chime, or you may not. Either way, once the system resumes operation, the keyboard may be recognized once again.

The rep I talked to told me we were "zapping the PRAM". I found more about this process here: What does Command + Option + P + R actually do?

Dec 18, 2016 4:24 PM in response to potatortot

Why was everything fine before i updated to sierra?

Like all similarly categorized junk, "Kaspersky" has been, and always will be, 100% worthless on a Mac.

And, like every macOS developer big and small, "Kaspersky" has had the better part of a year to update their products for Sierra compatibility. How well do you suppose a product designed to "protect" your Mac from (generally, imaginary) threats would respond to a real threat, one that was not provided to developers worldwide for evaluation purposes, one presumably designed to be difficult to detect and eradicate?

You decide.

The vast majority of Mac problems reported on this site are the direct result of using garbage products just like it. They are the threat they claim to prevent. Read Effective defenses against malware and other threats.

Can't type in password when logging in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.