Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I force scanning faces in photos

After upgrading to macOS Sierra a couple of weeks ago, the Photos app did rescan my whole photo library for faces.

But it stopped somehow near the end of it because it since then displays this message when I select the Persons/Faces album (translated from my language to English, so it might be slightly different in English):

15,726 Photos scanned

"Photos" continues to scan 1,260 remaining photos when you are not using the app and your Mac is plugged in to a power outlet.

Fortunately there is a button named ""Show album 'Persons'" below that message so that I eventually can get to the person album, but I would like to have all my photos scanned.

Upgrading to the latest macOS version did not fix it although the Photos app did upgrade the library.

Is there a way to force the Photos app to either continue the scan or force it to do a full rescan?

Thanks,

Andreas

P.S.: I am using an iMac (no laptop) and I am running on macOS 10.12.2.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 12:55 PM

Also had the same problem. I bought a new Mac and decided to use photos instead of the app I used on all previous macs and without fail: Picasa. Unfortunately, if there is no "force scan" option or the bug is not fixed by apple to complete facial scans in a timely fashion, then the best thing for Mac users to do is to resort to using another product. Picasa scanned all of my photos and in little time. Bugs me (no pun intended) that I cannot use an Apple app product on their hardware without issues (not the 1st time). I guess iPhones bugs trump all others. I hope to run into fewer bugs in the future.

User uploaded file

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2017 12:55 PM in response to probe_droid

Also had the same problem. I bought a new Mac and decided to use photos instead of the app I used on all previous macs and without fail: Picasa. Unfortunately, if there is no "force scan" option or the bug is not fixed by apple to complete facial scans in a timely fashion, then the best thing for Mac users to do is to resort to using another product. Picasa scanned all of my photos and in little time. Bugs me (no pun intended) that I cannot use an Apple app product on their hardware without issues (not the 1st time). I guess iPhones bugs trump all others. I hope to run into fewer bugs in the future.

User uploaded file

Sep 4, 2017 10:48 PM in response to CircleK22

. Picasa scanned all of my photos and in little time.

But that is a very different scan. Picasa has simply scanned the file attributes (filename, keywords, exif tags). That can be done very quickly. Photos is scanning the photos themselves and trying to recognize what the photo is showing and to find out if the picture is showing a birthday cake or a kitten and is classifying the photos according to thousands of categories. That needs a very long processing time. My Mac has scanned for several days and got really hot while doing the scan. Once the scan has been finished, you can search your library for categories. Photos will find photos showing certain objects or places even if you did not tag them with keywords. Try it and search for categories like "dog", "birthday cake", "cat", "elephant", "sunset" or similar. For example, searching for the "aircraft" category produced more than hundred photos like these:

User uploaded file

Sep 4, 2017 1:47 PM in response to CircleK22

There is no bug to be fixed - the initial scan works fine - it is slow and only works when the Mac s ppwered and awake so depending on user settings and workflows it may take even longer

Photos is optional and if you do not like it then do not use it - but the fact that it does not meet your personal dream of how it should is not a bug

L:N

Nov 8, 2017 10:53 AM in response to probe_droid

I think that I actually figured it out, after trying nearly every possible solution I found online.

If you rotate your photos clockwise & counter-clockwise, it will re-scan for all the faces

This might take a few hours depending on the size of your library.

I also recommend that you don't attempt to do a huge number at a time, as photos may crash in the middle & you will have a some-photos-rotated-and-some-not mess to deal with.

Let me know if this works for you guys as well!

Dec 18, 2016 8:33 AM in response to probe_droid

Do you have videos in your Photos Library? In my library the faces scan seemed to be stuck and did not make any progress for days, while it was scanning the videos. But in the Consolde.app I could see, that the photosanalysisd process was still running and making progress.

You can launch the Console.app from the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. Type "photos" into the search field and click "Diagnostic messages" in the sidebar.

Is "photosanalysisd" still running?

User uploaded file

How do I force scanning faces in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.