Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I buy a serial number for iWork 09?

I have installed the trial version of iWork 09 on my iMac to test if it works correctly and it does. Now I want to buy a serial number, so that I can use it permanently. When I click on the link for purchase I get directed to the Apple site where only newer versions are visible.

Since I use Pages to write and edit manuscripts, the newest version of Pages is of no use to me. I need to be able to use the older version (and yes, I have looked at the newer ones. The functionality has been reduced to a degree that makes it only viable for my Twitter messages).

Where can I download the full version of Pages 09 - or does buying a 'newer' serial number only mean that I can use it to unlock the old trial version I already have?

I just need to make sure that I do not accidentally install the Mickey-Mouse-version on my iMac but the working version of 09. It happened before and I couldn't work for over a week - nightmare.

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 4:27 AM

7 replies

Dec 18, 2016 5:32 AM in response to cdhw

cdhw, thanks for the speedy reply - perhaps a tad too speedy as this is unfortunately the opposite of what I am looking for. I DO NOT want the newer version of pages because it is useless if you want to actually work with it (like editing). So how to get the new version for an older Mac is the exact opposite of what I need: the OLDER version of pages for a NEW iMac.

Dec 18, 2016 7:18 AM in response to ravenowl

Once you have got hold of a boxed edition of iWork 09 you will probably need to update them to the latest version (iWork 9.3, Pages 4.3 IIRC) before they'll work on a recent version of OS X.

C.

BTW: Are you sure you want to lock yourself into an obsolete piece of software like this? Make sure you have a plan for the day when your Mac dies and Pages 09 simply won't open on macOS 10.99.

Dec 18, 2016 8:44 AM in response to ravenowl

I was hoping for a download idea

iWork 09 was only available on install media, so that is what you will need to purchase.

You will need to be aware of one thing: depending on the OS version you are running, I do not know if the old installer of iWork 09 will still work with the newer OS. I have some older software which is universal, but the installer is PowerPC based and will not work on newer OS versions (as the PPC support was discontinued some years ago). I also do not know if the app store will update your initial versions or might try to overwrite it with the new versions.

FWIW, I've had iWork 09 installed for years and still use it; I have tried the new stand-alone versions and have decided against them (except for Numbers, which is ok). I have both versions installed and ignore the new one.

How do I buy a serial number for iWork 09?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.