Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error connecting to the Apple ID server

Just bought an iPad Pro (already have watch, iPhone, MacBook and two other iPads) ...... when trying to set it up I'm getting error connecting to the Apple ID server , this issue has now spread to all my other devices , so nothing is syncing , can't rest things as it needs Apple ID to work and when I'm trying to change iCloud stuff it won't accept my password to update presferences even though it's the correct password as I have used it to log into iCloud in the first instance ......... this error has also conicided with me making an in app purchase on Pokémon go yesterday when after it kept on asking me to log into iTunes to see in app purchase downloads or something , but when I try to i get the error connecting to Apple ID server again !!!!

All devices are set to the correct time and date , and I don't have antivirus software other than whatever Apple provide on there devices ..... please , anyone any clue what to do ? I can't even set up my new iPad ........

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2016 3:48 PM

Hi bazb77,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities. As I'm understanding it, you're currently having an issue with setting up your new iPad Pro due to an error you're receiving saying that it can't connect to the Apple ID server. Not only that but now your other devices are experiencing similar issues when putting in your Apple ID password or making an in-app purchase. I certainly understand how this would be an issue, especially being that you're wanting to set up your brand new device.

In regards to all of your devices, have you checked to make sure they're able to connect to the internet otherwise? To test this, try opening up Safari and see if you're able to go to multiple websites without issue. If it seems like it's not connecting as it should then go ahead and delete the Wi-Fi network and set up again to see if that resolves this issue.

Because you're experiencing this issue with multiple devices all trying to contact the Apple ID server or connect to iTunes, this makes me think that maybe there's something going on with the Wi-Fi itself or possibly a firewall setting within modem/router that doesn't allow the devices to communicate with the Apple server.

In regard to your new iPad, I would recommend trying to use iTunes on your MacBook (if possible connect the MacBook to your modem/router directly instead of over Wi-Fi) to get it set up rather than over-the-air.

Here are some articles to guide you through the above process to try and figure out the root of the problem:

If you can’t connect to the iTunes Store

Set up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB

Lastly, you can also check on Apple's system status page here for any possible issues and/or outages:

Apple Services, Stores, and iCloud

Please feel free to keep us posted on your progress or reach out if you have any further questions. Otherwise, we wish you a wonderful week.

Happy Holidays!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2016 3:48 PM in response to bazb77

Hi bazb77,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities. As I'm understanding it, you're currently having an issue with setting up your new iPad Pro due to an error you're receiving saying that it can't connect to the Apple ID server. Not only that but now your other devices are experiencing similar issues when putting in your Apple ID password or making an in-app purchase. I certainly understand how this would be an issue, especially being that you're wanting to set up your brand new device.

In regards to all of your devices, have you checked to make sure they're able to connect to the internet otherwise? To test this, try opening up Safari and see if you're able to go to multiple websites without issue. If it seems like it's not connecting as it should then go ahead and delete the Wi-Fi network and set up again to see if that resolves this issue.

Because you're experiencing this issue with multiple devices all trying to contact the Apple ID server or connect to iTunes, this makes me think that maybe there's something going on with the Wi-Fi itself or possibly a firewall setting within modem/router that doesn't allow the devices to communicate with the Apple server.

In regard to your new iPad, I would recommend trying to use iTunes on your MacBook (if possible connect the MacBook to your modem/router directly instead of over Wi-Fi) to get it set up rather than over-the-air.

Here are some articles to guide you through the above process to try and figure out the root of the problem:

If you can’t connect to the iTunes Store

Set up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB

Lastly, you can also check on Apple's system status page here for any possible issues and/or outages:

Apple Services, Stores, and iCloud

Please feel free to keep us posted on your progress or reach out if you have any further questions. Otherwise, we wish you a wonderful week.

Happy Holidays!

Error connecting to the Apple ID server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.