Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset a used nano 7?

I was given a 7th Generation Nano from a friend who passed away. How do I reset it to factory condition and register it in my account? It is not recognized by iTunes 12.5.54...

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 2:00 PM

3 replies

Dec 19, 2016 3:37 PM in response to poorkevin

Hello poorkevin,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. The good news is the following steps will be helpful in restoring this iPod and getting iTunes to recognize the iPod.

Try these steps first

• Reset your iPod. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and Home buttons until you see the Apple logo.
  • If you can't see your iPod in iTunes when it's connected to your computer, try another USB port.
  • Restart the computer that you use with your iPod.
  • Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
  • Restore your iPod to factory settings.

Get help with your iPod nano (7th generation)

Cheers!

Dec 20, 2016 7:13 AM in response to darren.s

Thank you for answering.

I've done the sleep/wake button and home button reset, but it hasn't changed anything.

iTunes sees the iPod, but does not allow me to control it. It is listed as a device in the left column of iTunes, but I cannot load songs to it nor restore it. What I see on a Windows 7 Professional x64 PC does not look or behave at all like what I see in instructional videos of iTunes on similar Windows PC's.

I don't doubt that it's operator error, but I've been through the first four steps you suggested several times, and cannot get to step four, restoring the iPod. Which is where I want to be.

Kevin

Dec 22, 2016 7:38 AM in response to poorkevin

Thanks for replying, poorkevin, and that additional info, it really helps! It sounds like you were able to do all the steps suggested except restoring the iPod Nano in iTunes on your Windows computer. If you haven't already, please follow these steps for help when restoring in iTunes:

Update iTunes

Get the latest version of iTunes for your computer.

User uploaded file

Update your computer

Install updates for your Mac. If you have a PC, get updates from Microsoft.

User uploaded file

Check your computer’s security software

You might need to update, change, or uninstall software that’s causing an issue.

User uploaded file

Unplug extra USB devices

Keep only your device, keyboard, and mouse plugged in to your computer.

User uploaded file

Restart

Turn off your computer and your device. Then turn them on again.

User uploaded file

Try again

Update or restore your device again.

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If you're still having an issue, your next step is to contact Apple for further troubleshooting and help resolving your issue with this iPod Nano.

Contact Apple Support

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

How to reset a used nano 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.