Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10.2 - Shuffle all songs by "Artist".

Prior to the update to iOS 10.2, when I opened the music app I could select an "Artist" from my library which would give me a view of all albums by that artist. At the very top, above all the albums, there was a "SHUFFLE" function that allowed me to shuffle all songs on all albums by the artist I chose.

In iOS 10.2, when I open the music app, I select an artist from my library, and I get a view of all albums by that artist. The "SHUFFLE" function is no longer there and the only shuffle function is to shuffle songs on an individual album by the selected artist. I want my shuffle function back!

I'm probably overlooking it and I'm hoping someone far more tech savvy than myself can help an OldGoat figure out his music shuffle problem.

Peace!

Mike

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 19, 2016 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2017 5:02 AM

I discovered a workaround until they get this fixed. It is beyond me why this was not tested by Apple.

Click on the Search at the bottom of the iPad screen for the Music app.

Click on Library toward the top

Type in your artist

When the artist appears, click the artist

The next screen should show the artist's albums

The shuffle button will be in your upper right hand corner

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2017 5:02 AM in response to OldGoat58

I discovered a workaround until they get this fixed. It is beyond me why this was not tested by Apple.

Click on the Search at the bottom of the iPad screen for the Music app.

Click on Library toward the top

Type in your artist

When the artist appears, click the artist

The next screen should show the artist's albums

The shuffle button will be in your upper right hand corner

Jan 18, 2017 9:36 AM in response to OldGoat58

I am truly grateful for all the replies trying to help me correct my issue. I would love to say that one of the replies addressed my issue but sadly that is not the case. I would appreciate it if the moderators would "CLOSE" this discussion, as well as any others I started regarding this issue.

I will wait for Apple to figure out they took functionality away from the Music App in iOS 10.2 ONLY as it pertains to iPad Air, which I am currently running. It's a shame so simple a problem can leave a consumer with such a BITTER taste just as they were getting ready to update their hardware. Time to look elsewhere!

Peace!

Mike

Apr 28, 2017 11:32 PM in response to OldGoat58

I agree, it is a highly annoying omission in the latest iOS. I have an iPad Pro and have worked out a workaround. If you go to the search tab, search for the artist in your library, when you click the search result you want it should take you to a page that lists that artist's albums and there's a shuffle icon at the top. Tap that and you should be able to shuffle all songs for that artist. It works for me, I hope it works for you also. I also hope Apple add back the functionality the way it used to be. Let me know how you go. Thanks

Jul 22, 2017 10:57 AM in response to OldGoat58

I'd like to reopen this discussion as it appears to still be a problem. I always listened to music on my iPhone, so never ran across this issue. I now have a 12.9 Pro and I'm running 10.3.3 and there is no shuffle button when viewing albums if a particular artist. This is very frustrating as the only way to get the shuffle is to go into one of the albums and shuffle from there. This means you can't listen to all their albums on shuffle, you have to do it for each one. Does nobody at Apple compare interface options between iPhone and iPad? Fix this Apple, it's easy

Jul 29, 2017 3:36 AM in response to OldGoat58

Hi mate,

I agree this is a massive oversight by Apple. However the workaround I have found is that if you search for your artist using the search function in music. When you click on the artist there is a shuffle button which will allow you to shuffle all.

It's far from ideal, but workable as a short term solution until Apple add the option back.

Hope that helps you and the others on this thread.

Aug 17, 2017 4:23 PM in response to OldGoat58

I'm a little late coming to the gathering here, but the shuffle function has been making me a little crazy lately.

I found two good articles (hope they allow links in this post) that helped me. This helped with my iPhone. I don't know if they'll help with an iPad, but here you go. Hope they're of some help to someone.

How To Shuffle Songs in the Music App in iOS 10 - iPhone Hacks

www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/shuffle-songs-music-app-ios-10.html

How to Use the New iOS 10 Features in Music App - iPhone Hacks

www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/how-to-use-new-ios-10-features-music-app.html
Good luck.

Dec 20, 2016 6:16 AM in response to OldGoat58

I'm running 10.2 also. I'm noticing that the "Shuffle All" tab is still above all the albums in multi album artists, and when I click on an individual album, it's also at the top of the track list. And both seem to work. Sorry to not be of help, but it does seem to work on my iPhone 6 (v.10.2).

Having a different issue : ALL my playlists now shuffle automatically with out being able to turn that function off. I can no longer play a playlist in order.

Dec 20, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Stageman99

TY Stageman! I probably should have stated that my issue was with iOS 10.2 an my iPad Air. I don't have a data plan for my iPhone 5S so I never really listen to music on my phone, but since you brought it up I checked and my iPhone 5S has the "Shuffle All" functionality.

Hopefully someone can help me resolve the issue on my iPad Air.

Peace!

Mike

iOS 10.2 - Shuffle all songs by "Artist".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.