Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issues with carplay in 2017 audi a4

I have a new 2017 Audi A4. I have noticed that CarPlay does not connect sometimes upon plugging in my iPhone 6 to the USB Cable provided by Audi as the CarPlay IPhone cable ($150). It works sometimes and sometimes it does not.

Also if I am on CarPlay and then use the Radio/Media toggle to listen to say SiriusXM and then if I try to toggle back, I cannot connect to CarPlay. Also, if I use the MENU button to get to Audi Smartphone icon, and press on the button, it does not get back to CArPlay. It just clicks, but does not connect. Also, you are not able to use the voice button on the Audi wheel to communicate with CarPlay, you have to move the knob to get to the Siri icon on the screen and then communicate through voice.

Very frustrating. I am simply now using my Bluetooth connection with the car to get the telephone and music from my iPhone and then use Waze for navigation with the Bluetooth interface providing me Waze audio on the car speakers.

One big reason of buying the 2017 Audi A4 was its CarPlay integration, but there is a lot that needs to be done on this integration between Apple and AUDI.

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2, CARPLAY

Posted on Dec 19, 2016 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 12:26 PM

I found the connection process to be buggy. Sometimes it won't connect, sometimes it will appear to connect, but the audio comes out of the phone instead of the car speakers, and sometimes it will appear to connect only to fail. I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but what I've found helpful is the following routine:

1. Start the car
  2. Back out
  3. Start driving forward
  4. Plug in my iPhone

When I follow that routine I've never had an issue connecting. This makes me think it's an issue with Audi's software and the MMI system trying to connect to the phone before it's fully initialized.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2017 12:26 PM in response to agolex

I found the connection process to be buggy. Sometimes it won't connect, sometimes it will appear to connect, but the audio comes out of the phone instead of the car speakers, and sometimes it will appear to connect only to fail. I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but what I've found helpful is the following routine:

1. Start the car
  2. Back out
  3. Start driving forward
  4. Plug in my iPhone

When I follow that routine I've never had an issue connecting. This makes me think it's an issue with Audi's software and the MMI system trying to connect to the phone before it's fully initialized.

Dec 24, 2016 10:04 AM in response to agolex

I have the same car and was highly influenced by the promise of the 2017 Audi A4 Carplay integration. It's junk. Pure junk, unreliable and highly frustrating. The Audi dealership yawns and Apple shrugs. I just rented a Chevy Malibu that put this user experience to shame. Touch screen and no glitches. Sorry to say I don't have a solution, just shared frustration. One note-- I'm using an Iphone 6s with up to date ios- 10.2.

Dec 24, 2016 8:45 PM in response to agolex

And Apple Maps are really terrible. I had 3 errors just today. I was driving in NJ today and apple Maps had me make a left turn that was illegal. Almost had an accident. Then, I have avoid tools. And on my return journey from NJ to NY, Apple Maps said it will take me 6+ hours to get back avoiding tools. WAZE said it will take me 50 minutes and 30 miles. This is what I used. Apple should just give up on its Maps. It should allow WAZE on Car play and fix its issues with Audi 2017 integrTion and then it would be fine.

issues with carplay in 2017 audi a4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.