Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I turn 'gamed' off on OS X Sierra?

I don't use 'gamed' and want to turn it off on OS X Sierra. Is this possible?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 19, 2016 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 1:03 PM

My reason for disabling this feature is security. I do not use Game Center on my laptop; therefore, I do not want the gamed process perpetually blasting requests out to the Internet every time I login to my laptop and/or connect to WiFi. Because when it does, anyone within WiFi range will know an OS X machine just got online.

After researching the issue online, I found three possible solutions for preventing this feature from reaching the Internet. Try these as your own risk.

1. Little Snitch - This will only block the gamed requests from getting to the Internet but not disable it. And the requests appear to increase exponentially - like thousands of requests in a daily session.

2. GitHub - There are two resources that I found on GitHub that would be worth researching - OS X Security Guide by DrDuh and Santa (binary whitelisting/blacklisting system for macOS).

3. Use Automator in OS X to create a bash script that stops the GameD process after it starts. I have mine setup to launch on login with a prompt to execute. This has not been perfected and you may encounter issues if you run it immediately after you login to OS X. Normally I wait until I see an alert from Little Snitch that gamed is phoning home the I click 'Continue' to run the script. You can also try stack exchange, to see if anyone there has something useful to stop the process after login. I prefer to stay away from the solutions that disable the service as those require disabling/overriding SIP which I advise against.

Here is the bash script I use. Any suggestions on improving it are welcome.

#!/bin/bash

chkService=gamed

chkCount=10

chkStatus=$(ps ax | grep "$chkService" | grep -v grep | grep " T " | wc -l)

while [ $chkStatus -ne 1 ]; do

chkProcess=$(ps ax | grep -v grep | grep "$chkService" | wc -l)

if [ $chkProcess -ne 0 ];

then

KILLALL -STOP "$chkService"

chkCount=0

chkStatus=$(ps ax | grep gamed | grep -v grep | grep " T " | wc -l)

else

SLEEP=1

chkCount=$((chkCount-1))

fi

done

On a Windows machine (up to Windows 7), one can fully control what processes send requests to the Internet. With Windows 10 , this has become more of a challenge but still may be possible - I haven't fully researched it.

This obviously isn't the case with Apple in OS X. As a professional using OS X, I reserve the right to disable resources that are extraneous especially if they expose my online presence unnecessarily.

Letting everyone in an Internet Cafe know that someone nearby just connected with a potential $2,000 laptop isn't desirable.

Good luck!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2017 1:03 PM in response to JBob2

My reason for disabling this feature is security. I do not use Game Center on my laptop; therefore, I do not want the gamed process perpetually blasting requests out to the Internet every time I login to my laptop and/or connect to WiFi. Because when it does, anyone within WiFi range will know an OS X machine just got online.

After researching the issue online, I found three possible solutions for preventing this feature from reaching the Internet. Try these as your own risk.

1. Little Snitch - This will only block the gamed requests from getting to the Internet but not disable it. And the requests appear to increase exponentially - like thousands of requests in a daily session.

2. GitHub - There are two resources that I found on GitHub that would be worth researching - OS X Security Guide by DrDuh and Santa (binary whitelisting/blacklisting system for macOS).

3. Use Automator in OS X to create a bash script that stops the GameD process after it starts. I have mine setup to launch on login with a prompt to execute. This has not been perfected and you may encounter issues if you run it immediately after you login to OS X. Normally I wait until I see an alert from Little Snitch that gamed is phoning home the I click 'Continue' to run the script. You can also try stack exchange, to see if anyone there has something useful to stop the process after login. I prefer to stay away from the solutions that disable the service as those require disabling/overriding SIP which I advise against.

Here is the bash script I use. Any suggestions on improving it are welcome.

#!/bin/bash

chkService=gamed

chkCount=10

chkStatus=$(ps ax | grep "$chkService" | grep -v grep | grep " T " | wc -l)

while [ $chkStatus -ne 1 ]; do

chkProcess=$(ps ax | grep -v grep | grep "$chkService" | wc -l)

if [ $chkProcess -ne 0 ];

then

KILLALL -STOP "$chkService"

chkCount=0

chkStatus=$(ps ax | grep gamed | grep -v grep | grep " T " | wc -l)

else

SLEEP=1

chkCount=$((chkCount-1))

fi

done

On a Windows machine (up to Windows 7), one can fully control what processes send requests to the Internet. With Windows 10 , this has become more of a challenge but still may be possible - I haven't fully researched it.

This obviously isn't the case with Apple in OS X. As a professional using OS X, I reserve the right to disable resources that are extraneous especially if they expose my online presence unnecessarily.

Letting everyone in an Internet Cafe know that someone nearby just connected with a potential $2,000 laptop isn't desirable.

Good luck!

Aug 6, 2017 1:23 PM in response to scripture

Heres's another possible solution that would definitely be permanent. If you double click gamed in the Activity Monitor, the two related, main open files are these:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GameCenterFoundation.framework/Versions/A/game d

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GameKitServices.framework/Versions/A/GameKitSe rvices

Make a backup of your system, first! Or at least these two items. Then delete either both .framework files, or just gamed itself. You'll need to enter your admin password. More likely though, being in the System folder, you'll need to temporarily disable System Integrity Protection in order to be able to delete anything.

Edit: The forums are displaying a space within the words gamed and GameKitServices in the file paths above. Even though there is no space while viewing the post in edit mode. Ignore them.

Aug 6, 2017 1:41 PM in response to Kurt Lang

And just because I hate unnecessary services running (I also always remove the system files for Photos since I don't, and will never, ever use it), I moved gamed out to my desktop and restarted. No more gamed in Activity Monitor. Like some other processes I choose to permanently remove/kill, the OS doesn't seem to care gamed is missing.

Dec 22, 2016 10:50 AM in response to JBob2

I suspect you can manage it like any other launchd job…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd

https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPag es/man8/launchd.8.html

In short use the following in Terminal…

unload (stop it running permanently use -w )

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.gamed.plist

load (let it run permanently)

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.gamed.plist

It seems to be a job that is run under your user so you can disable it without sudo (at least in my single test).

To see if it is running…

launchctl list | grep gamed

Personally I have no idea if this will break anything besides game centre, use at your own risk & backup first!

Dec 30, 2016 9:29 AM in response to JBob2

I followed around the forums for variations of your post. The gamed process controls many different OS processes, all related to Game Center. So Drew's suggestion simply turns it off by unloading the process.

You can also disable it this way (found in this topic):

Copy and paste this into the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.gamed Disabled -bool true

Change the "true" to "false" to change it back, or use this:

defaults delete com.apple.gamed Disabled

to remove the setting entirely.

This particular .plist file exists in both the System folder and your user account. Since no location is specified, it will modify the .plist file in your account, which should suffice to disable it.

Dec 30, 2016 12:58 PM in response to tygb

tygb wrote:

Security & privacy > open the lock & enter admin name & password > firewall > firewall options > check the box of stealth mode & block all incoming connections , go to internet accounts if you see gamed select it & click on minus sign .

tybg you haven't tested this have you?

1. The Firewall will not stop the 'gamed' process from running.
  2. The Firewall is an 'INBOUND' block. That does not stop traffic leaving the Mac. The OS can still contact Apple & the OS will respond to incoming data is outgoing data has already been sent.
  3. Blocking all connections will cause other problems & not solve the question posted here.
  4. Read the terms of this site, Apple Support Communities Use Agreement – section 2, 5…

Test your answer. When possible, make sure your Submission works on your own computer before you post it.

5. If you managed to block the process from accessing the internet it will simply try to run again later if that is what the process needs to do.

JBob2, there is no risk in my solution beyond altering things you do not understand. launchd and launchctl are the correct way to manage background processes That is how the OS is designed to work. If you don't like using Terminal then you should not try to stop system jobs. There is an app called LaunchControl that can also alter jobs via the GUI http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/ but frankly that may just encourage you to disable too many other jobs as well - use caution. Whatever you decide just backup first.

Also Kurt Lang, I'm not sure that the defaults command should be used to modify the config file. Check the launchd manual…

https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPag es/man1/launchctl.1.html

-w Overrides the Disabled key and sets it to false.

In previous versions, this option would modify the configuration file.

Now the state of the Disabled key is stored elsewhere on-disk.

Apple seem to want to stop using the disabled key in the file. I suspect eventually that feature will be dropped but I have not read the latest docs.

JBob2 I'm still unclear why you need to disable it anyway? It is probably updating game scores for your iCloud account. What problem is it causing you?

Dec 30, 2016 1:43 PM in response to Drew Reece

Also Kurt Lang, I'm not sure that the defaults command should be used to modify the config file.

I wasn't sure if it would as it was a fairly old topic. I did try the command and it did add the key:

User uploaded file

However, either El Capitan ignores the key, or the command simply isn't supported in EL or Sierra The gamed process is still in the Activity Monitor, even after a restart.

Dec 30, 2016 3:03 PM in response to JBob2

I can't see any documentation on gamed & Apple doesn't seem to think it needs explaining. I'm not sure it uses many resources from what I can see (a few MB of secure connections when running the app, ~30Mb of RAM). That may change when it cannot do it's job because it cannot access the servers, I suspect stopping the process is far better than blocking the traffic via little snitch.

It's your call if you want to disable it. Personally I think you may want to compare a totally empty user account. If iCloud is setup it probably runs as a helper to keep the Game Center data up to date. You probably use Game Center if you have iOS devices with games installed even if OS X does not run games it still wants the data to be in sync.

How can I turn 'gamed' off on OS X Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.