Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Siri shortcut (Hold Command Space) for Adobe Users

How does one permanently disable the shortcut keys for Siri?

I am an Adobe software user and i know that Apple and Adobe don't get along, but this is getting out of hand. Apple knows full well that Command+Space is the Zoom function for PHOTOSHOP AND ILLUSTRATOR.

I have tried the following:

1. System Pref / Siri / keyboard shortcut:

(a) OFF,

(b) an alternative

(c) custom options.

The alternatives work, but SO DOES THE ORIGINAL Command+Space.

So I looked for Spotlight short cut option because apple did this before

2. System Pref / Keyboard / Shortcuts / Spotlight (left side) Unchecked both

(this I find funny that apple made a mistake here. because these were left ON, yet Siri still take precedent if Siri is enabled) HAH

3. Only BandAid Solution so far.

Disable Siri completely.

System Pref / Siri / Uncheck enable Siri.

you can go back to working in Photoshop and illustrator now.

I wouldn't mind knowing what it's like to have Siri on the computer... but till this is fixed. I'll just never use it. I never had it before so I won't miss it.

If anyone has fixed this Bug, i'd like to hear it.

Cheers

iMac, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 20, 2016 1:23 PM

12 replies

May 15, 2017 6:48 AM in response to dialabrain

I prefer to actually use the drag select to zoom to the space/area rather than click a few times to get there... on larger files multiple zooms can be slow to render.

Also it's Alt + Scroll that zooms,

+scroll is changes up/down scroll to left right scroll

First time I might say this, but perhaps if Apple could get payed for Siri searches, it might be useful. Goodness knows Siri on the phone is still very limited. I was so hopeful that they'd continue to improve Siri. (add a function or two every few weeks or month). Oh well one day.

Jul 25, 2017 6:30 AM in response to cpage

I am not sure if this will work for everyone, but first I switched the Siri Keyboard Shortcut to Command-9 (FWIW) in the Siri control panel. I verified that the new shortcut worked, it did- so did the old Command-space bar! Then I un-checked the Shortcut box, then I turned off Siri. I then verified that the new shortcut, or old, did not work- neither did. Then turned on Siri and both shortcuts did not work!

-cs

Dec 20, 2016 2:16 PM in response to dialabrain

Not to be rude, but that's sorta like saying Apple decided to change the Undo/Cut/Copy/Paste buttons to something else and then telling MS/Adobe/and any other software company that's been using this common command for the last 40 years.

I've been using Adobe on Apple products for 20 years and I can't imagine anyone accepting a different set of shortcut keys for something that you use every couple seconds.

I did however go to Adobe to see what they have said

they point you to apple

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/siri-zoom-tool-same-keyboard-shortcut- sierra.html

they also think that changing the short cut works

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353010-adobe-xd-bugs/suggestions/15723087-s pace-cmd-launches-siri-on-macos-10-12-sierra-g9

Maybe the shortcut change thing did work, in a previous version, but not on my new set up. Brand New iMac Fresh install everything. all up to date.

Dec 20, 2016 2:35 PM in response to cpage

cpage wrote:

Not to be rude, but that's sorta like saying Apple decided to change the Undo/Cut/Copy/Paste buttons to something else and then telling MS/Adobe/and any other software company that's been using this common command for the last 40 years.

I don't feel you are being rude. The bottom line though is it's Apple's OS to do with as they see fit and if they decided to change the "Undo/Cut/Copy/Paste" shortcuts/buttons that is their prerogative as annoyed as I imagine users would be.

As far as what Adobe had to say, they are mistaken.

I don't have Photoshop but I do have Photoshop Elements 15 and the zoom keys are "Command =" and "Command -"

Dec 21, 2016 5:34 AM in response to dialabrain

True, it is Apple's prerogative. As arrogant as it might be, what they say goes regardless of who it effects.

BTW the Zoom Tool is while you hold down +space. this is so you don't actually change tools. again, if you work in photoshop it's something you use VERY often and is something you want to be close by with a function that turns off when you let go.

Anyhow, It would be nice if someone figures it out... until then, any Adobe user will just keep Siri Disabled. And I'm guessing Apple would prefer that not happen.

Dec 21, 2016 6:10 AM in response to cpage

BTW the Zoom Tool is while you hold down +space. this is so you don't actually change tools. again

I more or less gathered that's what "+space" did. If I need to zoom in any program I just use "+scroll" but that's me.

Anyhow, It would be nice if someone figures it out... until then, any Adobe user will just keep Siri Disabled. And I'm guessing Apple would prefer that not happen.

If Apple was paid for every use of Siri I'm sure they would prefer that not to happen.

You can voice your displeasure to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Remove Siri shortcut (Hold Command Space) for Adobe Users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.