Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AddressBookSourceSync wants to use the keychain

I've been getting popups recently on my MacBook Pro saying "AddressBookSourceSync wants to use the 'Local Items' keychain" and other popups. Not only is it asking for the Local Items keychain, but also the iCloud one, and sometimes it is "accountsd" that wants to use the keychain. I've tried a lot to make these popups stop and I have not been successful. Can anyone help?

Here's an example of the popups.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 20, 2016 2:04 PM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2017 12:23 PM in response to matthewjakeragbir

Enter your admin password in the window of accountd want to use local items in keychain , and see if it works , and one more pop - up should come cloudd want to use the local keychain .

User uploaded file

also the keychain should be locked : OS X El Capitan: Lock or unlock your keychain

Go to system preferences > I cloud > keychains > if the box of it is unchecked , check the box , is it prompting to enter four digit code ? if it is yes enter your I cloud verification code , an sms will come on registered mobile enter it , and see if the box of keychain gets checked .

I tried this method , intentionally created the same issue by taking cursor on top menu bar clicked on the lock and unlocked the keychain , right now in the screen shot it is showing lock keychain , if I click on it will be unlocked .

User uploaded file

The same pop - up appeared as you posted in your original question when safari browser was opened .

Try this method could help you , or the last method would be left is to create a new keychain .

Mar 9, 2017 4:21 PM in response to greenhippo31

If keychain is prompting to enter password multiple times , & pop - up is not going away when safari is opened .

In user library click on go to go folder & type ~/Library then find a folder > keychains > remove first folder ( alfa numeric folder ) to trash . Restart & empty the trash , go to internet accounts & once again configure web mail account , I cloud mail account by entering their passwords .

Open air port utility via spotlight > enter your base station password .

Dec 21, 2017 3:34 PM in response to greenhippo31

Hate to add another "me too" to this problem, but my macbook has been exhibiting this incessant behavior for months now! To make things a bit worse, the "Keychain Access" Repair options were removed after El Capitan 😟

I've tried everything else and nothing has worked, so frustrating! 😠

I have tried:

- deleting & re-creating login & iCloud keychains, copied items from old one & deleted the old

- Resetting keychain passwords to match login account password

- Turning off iCloud keychain sync on all devices

- Re-trying everything in this article

- pulling out hair

Between this problem and another incessant annoyance where hostname constantly changes, I'm starting to get ver frustrated with Apple's recent OS versions.

Info on how to fix either of these problems would be greatly appreciated! Please help!

AddressBookSourceSync wants to use the keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.