Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Won't Accept Sign In

Apple TV model MC572LL/A, 2nd gen with software load 6.2.1.

Unit will begin to accept my user ID and password to sign in to icloud and itunes store. Initial acceptance is followed by a message on my iphone that someone is trying to access my Apple TV, asking whether that will be allowed. After I indicate that the access is allowed, a two factor authentication code appears on my iphone. Instructions on the AppleTV are to enter the code after my password in the password field shown on my Apple TV. Doing so results in advice that my password is entered incorrectly. I made repeated attempts to ensure password entry accuracy with the same results.

I can't find a way to sign in to rent or buy movies or access my own content in icloud. Is my older Apple TV obsolete because of two factor authentication? The preferences section for icloud on my Mac and my iphone informs me that if my Apple TV has a software load prior to 7.0, as is the case with my unit, that it will not show up in the list of devices that I am signed into.

I would still like to use this Apple TV if there were a method for signing in, but two factor authentication on my other devices appears to prevent the sign in. I've wondered if I can turn off the two factor security, and then successfully sign in, but I don't want to reduce security.

Any thoughts?

Apple TV, Other OS

Posted on Dec 20, 2016 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2017 8:22 AM

Hello, I finally tried this yesterday. It appears to be working. I actually signed in with two factor code and watched an iTunes movie.

I appreciate your follow through on this. It was very helpful. Glad we're both back in business now with our TVs.

DEBHLB

14 replies

Jun 25, 2017 6:02 AM in response to DEBHLB

After fussing with the same problem for over an hour, I decided to check here which gave me some ideas. I did several things, not sure which worked, but this is what I did.

**Took a deep breath and poured another cup of coffee. Went through everything in the Apple TV settings to make sure it was correct. Turns out, iCloud was turned off...must have happened when I reset Apple TV in an attempt to stream my music on TV through Apple TV. In fairness to Apple, they do warn you when resetting that you will have to restore the account settings. I do recall seeing - and ignoring - that warning because I thought it just applied to network info.

**I also turned off 2 question notification in iCloud settings on my computer. It's just me here, so no reason to have so much security.

**After doing this, I unplugged TV and Apple TV for 15 seconds and all is well.

I'm jamming' now!

Dec 21, 2016 9:53 AM in response to Phiol

I don't, of course, wish the problem on you but it's helpful to know I'm not the only one with it.

I suspect all who own Apple TVs like ours have the issue and there's nothing we can do about it without Apple. I hope they monitor the issues raised on this site for corrections they can make. Alternately, they may just intend for us to upgrade our equipment.

Dec 27, 2016 8:47 PM in response to DEBHLB

Perhaps you have seen already the post: Grateful for La 1248 efforts! I have taken the liberty of copying and pasting the entire post. I am going to try it now.

Phiol

User uploaded file

La1248

User uploaded file Level 1 (4 points)
User uploaded file

Apple TV

Q:Two Factor Identification and Apple TV Gen 2

Just got off the phone with Apple Support and thought I would post the resolution to signing into Home Sharing/iTunes store with two factor identification and Apple TV Gen 2s.

Issue:

With two factor identification enabled for my Apple ID, and when attempting to sign into Home Sharing or the iTunes Store on my Apple TV Gen 2 I would receive a message stating my Apple ID was not found, though a request was sent to other Apple devices alerting me another device was attempting to sign in with my Apple ID.

Resolution:

1) Browse to Home Sharing/iTunes Store on your Apple TV and select Sign In

2) Enter your Apple ID and password and submit the sign in information

3) You will receive a message stating your ID was not found, and an alert on other Apple devices that are enabled to approve two factor identification request that another Apple device is attempting to sign in with your Apple ID. DO NOT CLICK APPROVE...yet.

4) Attempt to sign in again - enter your Apple ID and password, but DO NOT click submit

5) On your Apple device with the approve message, click approve and enter the six digit code at the end of your password without spaces. Ex. Your password is 'Password' and the six digit code is '123456' what should be enter for your Apple ID password is 'Password123456'.

6) Submit the sign in and it should connect you successfully.

Hope this helps!

La

AppleTV 2, Other OS, 6.2.1

Dec 28, 2016 12:48 PM in response to Phiol

Thanks for sending this information my way.

I tried it but it didn't work. I had already signed on to my Apple TV by disabling two factor authentication, then turning it back on. With two factor on I tried to sign in with my pass word in order to rent a TV show using the method described. It did not work. In fact, my Apple TV froze up at one point and I had to unplug and replug it to get it back on.

The only method I've seen so far to keep a 2nd gen Apple TV working in conjunction with two factor authentication is to turn the two factor off.

Please let me know how you made out and thanks again for the information.

Dec 29, 2016 9:51 AM in response to DEBHLB

DEBHLB,

I followed these steps. My additions in italics.

"1) Browse to Home Sharing/iTunes Store on your Apple TV and select Sign In." The iTunes email address shows there.

"2) Enter your Apple ID and password and submit the sign in information."

"3) You will receive a message stating your ID was not found, and an alert on other Apple devices that are enabled to approve two factor identification request that another Apple device is attempting to sign in with your Apple ID. DO NOT CLICK APPROVE...yet." -this happened also.

"4) Attempt to sign in again - enter your Apple ID and password, but DO NOT click submit." -at this point, I got a notification on my iPhone that sign in was being attempted near my physical location. I selected 'Allow'. Then... on my TV there was a request for the Apple ID Verification! Entry of the verification code can only be done via the remote. I selected Submit via the Apple TV remote, and did not need to progress to step 5. I had my iTunes library available again.

"5) On your Apple device with the approve message, click approve and enter the six digit code at the end of your password without spaces. Ex. Your password is 'Password' and the six digit code is '123456' what should be enter for your Apple ID password is 'Password123456'.

6) Submit the sign in and it should connect you successfully."

Best wishes! I would be interested in your experience.

Phiol

Apple TV Won't Accept Sign In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.