Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My camera takes a video every time I take a photo

My camera takes video every single time I take a photo. I checked in settings and there seems to be no option to change this. I would love to remedy this because as many photos as I take with my iPhone, it can be quite time consuming deleting all the videos.

iPad, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Dec 21, 2016 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2016 4:17 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, JessejustJesse.
If I understand your post correctly, you'd like to take a still photo with the camera on your iPhone but you're getting an unwanted short video instead. I'm happy to help.
These videos may be Live Photos. Here's how Live Photos work and how to turn them off:

Take a Live Photo

Live Photos records what happens 1.5 seconds before and after you take a picture. What you get is more than a great photo — but a moment captured with movement and sound. You take a Live Photo just like you do a traditional photo.

1. Open the Camera app.
  2. Make sure that your Camera is set to photo mode.
  3. Hold your iPhone still.
  4. Tap User uploaded file.

Live Photos is on by default on your iPhone 6s and later. If you want to take a still image instead, tap User uploaded file to turn off Live Photos. You can preserve your Camera settings so that Live Photos is always on or off. Go to Settings > Photos & Camera > Preserve Settings.

See the full article for more information:
Take and use Live Photos
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2016 4:17 PM in response to JessejustJesse

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, JessejustJesse.
If I understand your post correctly, you'd like to take a still photo with the camera on your iPhone but you're getting an unwanted short video instead. I'm happy to help.
These videos may be Live Photos. Here's how Live Photos work and how to turn them off:

Take a Live Photo

Live Photos records what happens 1.5 seconds before and after you take a picture. What you get is more than a great photo — but a moment captured with movement and sound. You take a Live Photo just like you do a traditional photo.

1. Open the Camera app.
  2. Make sure that your Camera is set to photo mode.
  3. Hold your iPhone still.
  4. Tap User uploaded file.

Live Photos is on by default on your iPhone 6s and later. If you want to take a still image instead, tap User uploaded file to turn off Live Photos. You can preserve your Camera settings so that Live Photos is always on or off. Go to Settings > Photos & Camera > Preserve Settings.

See the full article for more information:
Take and use Live Photos
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

My camera takes a video every time I take a photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.