Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different artists with exactly same album name

Maybe this has been discussed before but I searched and couldn't find anything. I have two different artist with the same album name "Greatest Hits". ITunes puts both artists and albums under a single "Greatest Hits" album. I made sure that on the Music folder they're on different folder for each album. Any suggestions?

Posted on Dec 22, 2016 1:51 PM

6 replies

Dec 22, 2016 2:42 PM in response to Nelsondavidd

Usually that happens when iTunes sees more than one artist associated with a song or songs. When that happens to me, after the import/rip, I do a get info to edit the various tags that gets the album in the correct place. So in the example below, the Artist is "Mixed" and the Album Artist is two guys. Because of this, iTunes checks the compilation box.

User uploaded file

I can 'fix' this by changing the artist to be the same as the album artist and uncheck the compilation box. It'll put in a folder called Boney James & Rick Braun.

You should be able to do the same with your two albums. Set the Album artist and artist to the same person and uncheck the compilation box.

Hope this helps.

Dec 22, 2016 2:54 PM in response to Nelsondavidd

Greatest Hits is the most obvious shared album title but there are others. In iTunes distinct combinations of Album Artist and Album should make separate albums, but an older iPod may lump them together. Personally I opt for the pattern <Album> - <Artist> or occasionally <Album> - <Artist> [<Label>|<Year>] when the same band has issued more than one album with the same title. See Grouping tracks into albums for more information.

The compilation flag should not be generally be set unless there are different artists performing each track, in which case a unique album title is imperative.

tt2

Different artists with exactly same album name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.