Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime won't record in stereo

QuickTime Player Version 10.4 (894.1) won't do a movie recording audio in stereo.

MacBook Pro: OS is Sierra 10.12.2

QuickTime Player > File > New Movie Recording

Then, to the right of the recording button (the little "v" button) I have chosen FaceTime HD Camera, and under microphone I have my USB audio interface with a microphone all properly hooked up (I tested it in GarageBand).

NOTE: Audio interface is a Focusrite, and the microphone is Sterling Audio S50 Class A FET...

However when I record the movie with that set up, the audio is only played back out of the left channel. (Upon further digging we did find out the audio file is being recorded in 2 channels, just not playing back the same way.)

Tried using that sound flower and some audio loops or something, but I don't feel comfortable using 3rd party apps that require downloading on the mac, (also they didn't work or fix the problem anyway.)

QuickTime should play back in stereo, and theres zero audio setting menu's, which is very frustrating. I just want to record my videos and put them on YouTube (Oh yeah direct recording them in iMovie don't work either, same problem. Also iMovie will lag the video and audio apart in certain times then rematch them.)

Overall just very frustrated, very annoyed, and seeking help. Spent way too much money between the mac, and all the recording tools for something like this to not be easily resolved.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS is Sierra 10.12.2

Posted on Dec 22, 2016 8:07 PM

10 replies

Dec 23, 2016 7:21 AM in response to ChallengerSteve

QuickTime Player > File > New Movie Recording

Then, to the right of the recording button (the little "v" button) I have chosen FaceTime HD Camera, and under microphone I have my USB audio interface with a microphone all properly hooked up (I tested it in GarageBand).

NOTE: Audio interface is a Focusrite, and the microphone is Sterling Audio S50 Class A FET...

Knowing hardware specifications and software settings may be of benefit later when attempting to "fix" a problem but the first step is to determine what the problem actually is at this point.

However when I record the movie with that set up, the audio is only played back out of the left channel. (Upon further digging we did find out the audio file is being recorded in 2 channels, just not playing back the same way.)

This is the crux of the matter. How did you determine this? What are the channel assignments? Is there a Left/Right "imbalance" modification stored in the file? For example:

User uploaded file

The above image is of a "FaceTime HD" test file created on my iMac using default camera and built-in mic settings which plays back normally.

User uploaded file

This image (above) depicts a file in which the both channels have been incorrectly set for playback through the Left Channel speaker and, therefore, plays back as you indicate.

User uploaded file

The last image (above) indicates the file contains a Left/Right channel playback imbalance stored in the video file which would also result in the audio playback issue you describe.

Therefore, recommend you determine the specific nature of your recorded audio channelization/balance as a first step in solving your current problem. If the recording was correctly stored, then you have a playback problem. If not, then you have a recording issue. In either case, you will then know where to concentrate your further efforts.

Basically, it sounds as if you may have accidentally reset system sound input and/or output settings. E.g., certain apps (like GarageBand) can manipulate/change your Audio MIDI Setup app settings. Then too, there is a possibility of a recording or playback hardware issue at work here. In either case, you may need to perform a number of logical actions to locate and finally correct the issue. If you don't know how to analyze the recording, please post a sample file for examination by others here.

User uploaded file

Dec 23, 2016 9:48 AM in response to Jon Walker

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileSo I'm not too sure on how to post the sample file here, I apologize this is the first time I've used this support, also very new to the Mac OS... Again many apologies. The images I've included are my options when "right" clicking the file while its on the desktop (Right Image) and the left is the info from the "Get Info" option. Not sure how to discover the "properties" windows that you included... Again, very new to this. I would love to post the test file, just not sure how. I'll play around with it further and see if I can manage.

Dec 23, 2016 5:38 PM in response to ChallengerSteve

So I'm not too sure on how to post the sample file here, I apologize this is the first time I've used this support, also very new to the Mac OS...

It usually depends on the size of the file and the services available to you. They can range from large email attachments sent by the Mail app using iCloud "mail drop" (if properly configured and account storage space is available) or the use of third-party services like Dropbox to owning a personal server or personal "cloud" device.

The images I've included are my options when "right" clicking the file while its on the desktop (Right Image) and the left is the info from the "Get Info" option.

Screen images of the "Inspector" window might be more helpful here. For example...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Your System "Info" window (first) image indicates that there are two audio channels stored in the file but does not indicate the channelization or balance settings. The first two images above are for my test file having both of the stereo channels erroneously being sent to the Left channel speaker and reflects this where it reads "2.0 (L L)" in the "Format:" info area. Unfortunately, the last two images which are for the unbalanced version of my test file does not provide any useful information since it doesn't reflect any "balance" setting information for the "Stereo (L R)" audio actually stored in the file and is the reason this file plays incorrectly.

Not sure how to discover the "properties" windows that you included...

This information is from the QT 7 (pre-QT X) Pro player. Unfortunately, the "Pro" license is no longer being sold by Apple and I suspect the QT 7 structure currently embedded in Sierra may be removed in some major, near-future MacOS update. (The "Pro" license basically allows users to access features already built into the QT 7 structure to view and modify various audio and/or video properties.)

Again, very new to this. I would love to post the test file, just not sure how. I'll play around with it further and see if I can manage.

Example posted above appears small enough for a regular email attachment. Just send it to me at the email address posted in my profile. (I.e., mouse-click my name to see the profile.)

User uploaded file

Dec 23, 2016 5:59 PM in response to Jon Walker

Okay, thank you again so much for your help and support here! I couldn't find a link to an email on your profile, I don't know if its the Polish in me or whats going on haha. Either that or maybe its something with the private settings, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Oddly enough, not sure if this helps but iMovie also records/playsback in mono to the left as well, dug through as many audio settings as I could still not being able to figure out if its a recording or playback issues. Even found the Audio MIDI setting menu, and still no luck. I was able to get the inspector, but I feel as if it's the same as your last 1 or 2, stating STEREO (L, R) however still being configured (or recorded or whatever the unknown issue is) incorrectly. Sorry, I don't know how to post the photos all fancy and centered yet... Learning as I go 🙂User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Dec 23, 2016 6:28 PM in response to ChallengerSteve

I was able to get the inspector, but I feel as if it's the same as your last 1 or 2, stating STEREO (L, R) however still being configured (or recorded or whatever the unknown issue is) incorrectly.

This could be good news in that it indicates your system was attempting to encode stereo audio normally. Now all we need to do is determine if there is a Left/Right channel imbalance or Right channel volume issue during recording or a playback issue.

User uploaded file

Dec 24, 2016 4:46 AM in response to Jon Walker

Steve,

Should probably clarify my statements better. When I say the “mic is mono” I mean that the aggregate mic + mixer output is mono but the USB input is set for or expecting stereo/2-channels of data—e.g., like plugging a mono (2-part) jack into a stereo (3-part) receptacle. In this case the mono audio is recorded on the left channel and the right channel is empty. However, most common mics are mono and most computer recording apps now expect a mono input and automatically record it to both left and right channels as opposed to older versions of apps like GarageBand that required the user to manually select binaural (left and right mono) track recording. So much for items 1 & 2.

As for item 3, suggest you make a quick comparison test using an app like GarageBand. Try recording a quick “Voice” project using both built-in mic and external mic + mixer as input. Pan output of recorded segments to check for audio having been recorded to both left and right channels. If both recorded segments pan correctly then both internal and external mics are working properly. If only the built-in mic is working properly, then look for a hardware connection or software setting problem in external mic setup. If neither recorded segment pans properly, then look for a hardware or software problem in the operating system/platform itself.

User uploaded file

QuickTime won't record in stereo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.