Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods hiss/white noise underneath audio.

As AirPods are fairly new, I haven't been able to see much information about whether others are experiencing this.

My AirPods, whenever audio is being played, have a noticeable hissing and white noise sound happening during all audio. If I pause music, the hissing will continue for a few moments then cut off once the AirPods I suppose cut off after detecting no more audio.

I've plugged in the lightning EarPods and they don't have this issue on my iPhone 7.

Anyone else have this experience? Wanted to see if this was normal behavior or not.

Posted on Dec 22, 2016 10:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2016 6:59 PM

I just got me AirPods and this was the first thing I noticed. Initially was not sure if was anything from the surrounds, but seems to be pretty consistent even when there is no audio played and the iPhone is locked. I have the ringer of my iPhone turned off, but still notice the slight hiss in background.

Currently on iPhone 7.

20 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2016 6:59 PM in response to SQresh

I just got me AirPods and this was the first thing I noticed. Initially was not sure if was anything from the surrounds, but seems to be pretty consistent even when there is no audio played and the iPhone is locked. I have the ringer of my iPhone turned off, but still notice the slight hiss in background.

Currently on iPhone 7.

Feb 14, 2017 2:14 PM in response to SQresh

I'm having the same issue... I got my AirPods last weekend and initially only used them for music, where the issue isn't happening. But once I started making phone calls (FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp calls, Facebook Messenger calls...) there is a very obvious hiss / buzz / static / white noise that makes it very uncomfortable to use the AirPods to the point where I fall back to the EarPods (3.5mm ones) when making phone calls.

My assumption is that when playing music or watching videos etc, the AirPods are using the Bluetooth profile A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) which is higher quality. Then when making phone calls or anything else that uses the microphone, the AirPods switch to using HSP (Headset Profile) which is much lower quality. That's just my assumption though...I've also tested this with my MacBook Air, and it's the same result (good quality with music etc, and hissing noise when using FaceTime and other VoIP apps).

I'm also finding that the hissing stops when the other person is quiet, and then starts again when they are speaking or making noise.

I've called Apple Support UK and was advised to return my AirPods to buy new ones, however the lady lacked technical knowledge (she wasn't aware of bluetooth profiles etc.) so we didn't get very far in our conversation as her advice was things such as making sure I was close to my phone...

Jan 1, 2017 1:33 PM in response to SQresh

I received my AirPods on December 30th and immediately began noticing the same hissing noise described here in this thread. The hissing noise isn't noticeable while music is playing or sound is being constantly transmitted to the AirPods, but in a quiet environment, especially in the iMessage app, the hiss is distinctly noticeable and replicable while typing with intermediate pauses. It sounds almost as if the AirPods are hissing while powering on to receive the sound transmitted from the Bluetooth connected device. Once the sound is no longer being transmitted, the hiss stops. I am using my AirPods with an iPhone 7 Plus.

Apr 5, 2017 1:16 PM in response to SQresh

I am having similar issue, iPhone 7 Plus. Whenever I'm on a call there is crackling in the background every time the other person talks. I assumed it was the bluetooth devices, etc. But it turns out that when I get on a conference call, using AirPods for audio, but my Mac's microphone, the issue goes away. As soon as I turn on the AirPods' microphone for the call, *even if it's muted*, the interference is back when anyone on the call talks.

AirPods hiss/white noise underneath audio.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.