Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live Photo on 5S (enabled?)

My mother-in-law asked me to look at her iPhone because her pictures were moving. I checked it out and it appeared that they were live photos (moved a little when flipping from picture to picture in photo app and would play when you hold it down). Not that weird but she has a 5S; not a 6S or newer. I checked her camera app (stock apple app) and the live photo button is there and you can take live photos.

Any other 5S's have the live photo enabled or is it just her? Kinda of a weird but good problem (I guess).

FYI - it's not jailbroken or anything. This just started after she upgraded to 10.2

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 23, 2016 6:56 PM

18 replies

Sep 4, 2017 10:14 AM in response to Pratick96

Pratick96 wrote:

Actually I think this is a lie. My friend has the iPhone 5s and yeah I'm sure it's not the SE Because we checked it out a million times to verify. So tell me, how do I get Live Photos? Do I have to update?

It's not a lie. Yes, you need to update your equipment to hardware that supports the feature. You need an iPhone 6S or later.

Sep 6, 2017 11:20 AM in response to janay23

janay23 wrote:

My Fiance also has the iphone 5s and he has live photos. Kind of cruddy that he paid about $150 recently on Boost Mobile and I have the 6, which was brand new when I got it, and have no live photos.

I believe you are, in some way, mistaken. The iPhone 5S doesn't support LivePhotos. It isn't even sold by Apple any more. I suspect he has an SE, which looks very much like the 5S.

Sep 6, 2017 11:31 AM in response to janay23

It's a fun gimmick but really, that's about all. The feature that I found most valuable when I updated to the 7+ was 3D touch. There are lots of options in iOS that you can only access with 3D touch so, my iPhone 6 couldn't take advantage.

If you've had the iPhone 6 since it was released, you may want to start considering a new phone. I'd wait until after next week, of course.

Oct 7, 2017 10:56 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

To say they don’t “support” Live Photo’s on 5S is incorrect. My wife has a 5S and she can view and playback Live Photo’s that were taken by my 7+. The difference being that she can not *create* Live Photo’s with her phone because there is no option to do so. She can certainly view them, however, which by definition means the 5S does “support” Live Photo’s.

Oct 7, 2017 11:20 AM in response to Danlo8

Danlo8 wrote:

To say they don’t “support” Live Photo’s on 5S is incorrect. My wife has a 5S and she can view and playback Live Photo’s that were taken by my 7+. The difference being that she can not *create* Live Photo’s with her phone because there is no option to do so. She can certainly view them, however, which by definition means the 5S does “support” Live Photo’s.

Ok, if you're going to split hairs, the iPhone 5s doesn't support the taking of Live Photos. Is that better?

Live Photo on 5S (enabled?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.