Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp error quitting unexpectedly

I am trying to install Windows 10 from ISO file on my macbook pro 2016 but after installing windows support softwares and creating the partition; it says that bootcamp is quitting unexpectedly

Please help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Dec 25, 2016 12:43 AM

51 replies

Dec 25, 2016 5:58 AM in response to Loner T

Yes it has happened more than one time.

After this error if I run bootcamp so it asks me to remove the partition and restore the original partition

If i run it again then it asks me to run disk utility

After i run disk utility or I restart it and run boot camp again it repeats the whole procedure again

No external storage connected

Dec 25, 2016 7:31 PM in response to Ozmania

We can bypass BC Assistant and you can manually install Windows using the USB. Creating USB installer is fairly straightforward.

From the OS X side, use BC Assistant and the Action -> Download... option to download BC drivers for your Mac. Copy the entire contents of the ISO to this USB. This is your USB Installer.

Create a FAT32 partition using Disk Utility. Now you can boot from the the USB using Alt/Option, choose the FAT32 partition, format it as needed, and instal Windows. If you run into any issues, please post any error messages.

Dec 25, 2016 8:06 PM in response to Loner T

Okay will try this method but one thing I would like to mention is that BC automatically starts to download softwares once I select the folder for my ISO and set partition sizes.

Once downloading and installation of softwares is complete it gives BC quit error

So will it give me a separate option to download support drivers ?

Dec 25, 2016 8:10 PM in response to Ozmania

Having this exact same issue. I've tried multiple ISO images as well. On most recent ISOs, bootcamp crashes before reboot - reboot starts Windows install properly but error when copying Windows files because the target partition is never created.

On another ISO - the partition is created but theres an immediate crash on Windows installer launch with EFI issues. I'm trying backup USB now.

Dec 26, 2016 5:40 AM in response to mmxstryker

mmxstryker wrote:

Having this exact same issue. I've tried multiple ISO images as well. On most recent ISOs, bootcamp crashes before reboot - reboot starts Windows install properly but error when copying Windows files because the target partition is never created.

There are two partitions on 2015 and later Macs, which get used.

OSXRESERVED - contains the BC drivers and contents of the ISO. This is a replacement for the traditional USB installer.

FAT32 partition - this is the designated Windows destination which is formatted after being selected from FAT32 to NTFS before installation starts.

Now, which partition is not being created?

Reference - https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp09f5f773

Bootcamp error quitting unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.