Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony msv file conversion?

I have a Sony digital voice recorder, that stores files in the proprietary .msv format. I was wondering whether Quicktime Pro (or any other Mac app) can convert that format to mp3 so I can share the audio files with my friends. When I convert to .wav format (the only other Sony-supported option) the files balloon to sizes larger than I can email (150MB+).

2 GHz Power PC G5 iMac Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 21, 2006 11:34 AM

7 replies

Dec 21, 2006 4:06 PM in response to Larry Hill1

Convert to .wav using the software you have and ignore the file size.
Drag the .wav into iTunes and it can convert to .mp3.
QuickTime Pro doesn't export to .mp3 format without third party add ons.
You could also use WireTap (the free version) to make an .aiff and iTunes to convert it.
Beware the obvious. Your recording is mono and probably pretty low quality.Try to match your source file settings when converting and the file size should be similar to your source file size when made into an .mp3.

Dec 25, 2006 4:07 AM in response to Larry Hill1

You can't play the .msv file on your Mac, correct? You can only hear it played back on the Sony device, correct?
Use the Sony software to convert to .wav file.
Drag the .wav file to an iTunes playlist, highlight it and use the Advanced menu to convert it to .mp3 format.
Delete the .wav in iTunes and delete the original that Sony made to free up space.
WireTap can only record what can play through your machine. The free version default save is .aiff format and these can also be converted using iTunes.

Sony msv file conversion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.