Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari ask for permission to open app, very annoying

Lately Safari 10.0.2 has began to ask for permission in a separate pop-up window to open an app that I use frequently. Very annoying. This takes one extra move with the mouse and one extra click to get the app running. It was not like this in previous versions. It has always just opened the app as it should. Using Firefox on my Mac works fine without popping up this stupid question. This is very annoying, like the Windows crap I left years ago. I don't want this back. How can I disable this function?

MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Dec 25, 2016 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 1:54 PM

While some Safari Extensions can trigger this new behavior, it is a new Safari-wide security feature that can be triggered by a variety of situations where Safari needs to open a macOS app via a custom URL.

We use Safari to automatically open FileMaker for our users from within notification emails, and this new feature has thrown a wrench into that legitimate purpose.

I posted feedback to Apple for the macOS Safari app asking that a "defaults write safari..." pref be created (if not a GUI pref) that allows us to revert to the older behavior for situations that require it. I urge others that have the same need to also submit feedback.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 1:54 PM in response to vettebuff

While some Safari Extensions can trigger this new behavior, it is a new Safari-wide security feature that can be triggered by a variety of situations where Safari needs to open a macOS app via a custom URL.

We use Safari to automatically open FileMaker for our users from within notification emails, and this new feature has thrown a wrench into that legitimate purpose.

I posted feedback to Apple for the macOS Safari app asking that a "defaults write safari..." pref be created (if not a GUI pref) that allows us to revert to the older behavior for situations that require it. I urge others that have the same need to also submit feedback.

Jan 4, 2017 6:58 PM in response to John Blackburne

when you open apple map so you see just like this :

User uploaded file

If you click on allow

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

As , I have not checked the box of maps app that's why it is showing maps is not authorised to access your location .

Apps that you have allowed to use Location Services appear in the Privacy pane of Security & Privacy preferences. Checkboxes show whether Location Services is turned on or off for an app. If you don’t want to allow Location Services for one or more apps, you can deselect (uncheck) the checkbox next to an app's name. If you turn Location Services off for an app, you are prompted for permission the next time that app requests to use your location data.

Read these articles thoroughly : About Location Services in OS X and Safari - Apple Support

macOS Sierra: Manage which apps can use Location Services

Jan 4, 2017 7:06 PM in response to vettebuff

Have you downloaded this app from google , if it is yes drag and drop from download to Applications .

Open Applications select the app , just do a right click on that app a window appears > click on open .

Empty the download item into the trash , restart & empty the trash there is no need of keeping .dmg files

An article for It : macOS Sierra: Open an app from an unidentified developer

Jan 4, 2017 12:40 PM in response to tygb

That does not help. I have the problem too: the particular app I am trying to open is Apple’s own Maps.app. It is one of the options if you use wikipedia and click on the coordinates on any page. For many things Apple’s maps is by far the best. But every time I see a dialog with the question ‘Do you want to allow this page to open “Maps”?’. This does not happen if I try to navigate to e.g. Google Maps, despite Google being far worse and less trustworthy over my privacy.

Safari ask for permission to open app, very annoying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.