Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Add JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speakers?

I just bought a JBL Charge bluetooth speaker.

Wanting to use not just my iPhone, I wondered how I could connect via bluetooth to my 15" MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.2, with my 200+ gig iTunes music library in iTunes version 12.5.4. After some googling and another article elsewhere here on the forums I realised that, the instructions weren't that clear on the JBL manual.

Opening my bluetooth preferences I could see a device which might have been the my speaker but I wasn't sure?

User uploaded file

That device starting with SMA001d, was I thought my JBL Charge 3 Speaker.

But really I'm still not sure. Even after repeated pressing of what I thought was the paring button on the top of my speaker it still wouldn't connect.

So I dug up the JBL Charge 3 speaker again and had a closer look.

This image on this page, page 2 is important.

User uploaded file

The bluetooth symbol itself [first on the left] is how you pair to other devices, not the other infinity type symbol [fouth from the right]

Once I had worked this out the speaker then appeared in my bluetooth preferences list.

See this picture below. Note that device starting with SA000 is still there?

User uploaded file

I am now able to enjoy my entire iTunes library anywhere within range of the MacBook Pro, running Sierra 10.12.2 with my iTunes library attached.

Message was edited by: s2art minor spelling issues and a touch more information

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.1.1, 13 inch

Posted on Dec 25, 2016 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2017 2:20 PM

MacBook Pro 2017, macOS 10.13.1 release.

This didn't work for me (the "instructions" above are more common sense than troubleshooting).

I have two Charge 3 (one just purchased in November, 2017; one purchased in May, 2017).

I can add and connect to the speaker, but cannot select it as an output source (like I can Apple TV and Samsung soundbar).

It also DISCONNECTS after 5-6 seconds.

This is frustrating.

The speaker works fine with my iPhone and iPad, along with Android devices.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2017 2:20 PM in response to s2art

MacBook Pro 2017, macOS 10.13.1 release.

This didn't work for me (the "instructions" above are more common sense than troubleshooting).

I have two Charge 3 (one just purchased in November, 2017; one purchased in May, 2017).

I can add and connect to the speaker, but cannot select it as an output source (like I can Apple TV and Samsung soundbar).

It also DISCONNECTS after 5-6 seconds.

This is frustrating.

The speaker works fine with my iPhone and iPad, along with Android devices.

How to Add JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth Speakers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.