Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open any file

All of the sudden I can't open files that is on My time capsule by double click it

All attempts gives me this - and it goes for any file type

User uploaded file

If I open up the application and select Open file and browse to the same file it opens fine

Anyone knows how to resolve this behaviour?

iMac with Retina 5K display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 26, 2016 12:43 AM

14 replies

Dec 26, 2016 5:56 AM in response to HelgeWagner

Although your profile mentions that your iMac is using Lion OS X (10.7.5), the error message that appears above is using displayed when using Sierra (10.12.2). Might you be using Sierra on your Mac?

Sierra has added a number of new "security" measures that are making things difficult for a number of users.

Please provide an exact step by step list of the things that you are doing to receive the message above.

Dec 26, 2016 12:08 PM in response to mirandmir

Try the following:

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac and click on the picture of the Time Capsule (TC) . Jot down the TC's LAN IP Address, then close the utility.

Click on the "smiley face" Finder icon on the dock

Click the Go menu at the uppermost top of the screen

Click Connect to Server

Enter the following:

smb://TCLANIPaddress example, if the IP of the TC is 10.0.1.20, enter: smb://10.0.1.20

Click Connect

Enter the admin password for the TC

Click Connect

Check to see if the file will open that way

Dec 28, 2016 1:26 PM in response to HelgeWagner

Test with the third party application "Auto Mounter" https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/automounter/id1160435653?mt=12

I seem to have solved the problem temporarily.

SMB did not help me because it is 50% slower than for AFP when copying large amounts of data. Or files that weigh more than 4GB.

Now you can try using the shortcut directly without buying the application.

Cmd+K afp://name time capsule.local/name internal disk

in my case.. afp://Time-Capsule.local/AirPort Disk

User uploaded file

Can't open any file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.