Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change my Apple ID to @icloud.com

My Apple ID is currently an @optusnet.com.au email address.

I want a new AppleID which will be an @icloud.com address (which I currently don't have) and I also want this to be my main email address from now on.

I want to make sure I know how to do this before I do, which is why I'm asking you all..

So basically I need to firstly create a brand new Apple ID from scratch and make this the @icloud.com address that I want to use right?

Now i need to sign out of all that and go to 'Manage my Apple ID' and log in as my usual self and there I can EDIT my apple ID to my new '@icloud.com' address..

I will then receive an email to my @icloud.com address to verify and thats it.

I can now use my new @icloud email address as both my Apple ID and main email address.

Does this procedure sound like it will work??

-Frank

Posted on Dec 26, 2016 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2016 9:12 PM

Typically you can't "switch" to an email address that ends in @icloud.com.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Such email addresses are already Apple IDs. So, switching to one would be the equivalent of merging Apple IDs, which Apple does not support.

7 replies

Dec 26, 2016 9:26 PM in response to Frankiedude

You can create a brand new Apple ID, and can do so with an iCloud e-mail address, however any purchases made with the old Apple Id will forever be tied to that Apple ID and cannot be merged or moved to another apple ID.

To do this you need to create the iCloud e-mail address from a Mac or iOS device first. Once created, the iCloud E-mail will automatically become an Apple ID.

iCloud: Set up an @icloud.com email address

Now, your current Apple ID can have an associated iCloud email address for you to get e-mail through.

You can also change your current e-mail address for your Apple ID to a new non-Apple e-mail address to continue using the current Apple ID.

Dec 26, 2016 9:30 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil0124..

Ok I understand regarding the Apple ID. Thank you to you and LACAllen for the responses..

If I want a brand new @icloud.com address to use as my main email address but I want all mail forwarded elsewhere is it best that I create a brand new @icloud.com address (which will be a new Apple ID within itself) and forward that, or simply create an alias using my existing Apple ID email?

Is it possible to forward mail from just an Alias or willI have to forward my main Apple ID email as well?

-Frank

Dec 26, 2016 9:44 PM in response to Phil0124

Ok sounds good..

Would you happen to know if I create a @icloud.com alias to use as my main email address and then later decide to use that same address to create a new Apple ID, is it a case of simply deleting the alias and then separately creating a new iCloud account using the same address?

Will Apple let me create a new iCloud account with the same email address as a 'former' alias?

-Frank

Change my Apple ID to @icloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.