Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command-x does not work for "cut" in macOS Sierra.

Command-x does not work for "cut" in macOS Sierra. It is still the shortcut for zoom. Command+option-v doesn't seem to work as well. Is there a universal keyboard shortcut for the cut-and-paste functionality?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2016 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2016 11:36 AM

Command+X works within any app as you would expect. It will cut a picture or text from an editable document to be pasted somewhere else.

It does not work from the Finder (desktop). If you want to cut/paste in the Finder, you highlight what you want and press Command+C to copy. But when you paste, you use Command+Option+V. Adding the Option key makes the paste a move rather than copy.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2016 11:36 AM in response to vytalman

Command+X works within any app as you would expect. It will cut a picture or text from an editable document to be pasted somewhere else.

It does not work from the Finder (desktop). If you want to cut/paste in the Finder, you highlight what you want and press Command+C to copy. But when you paste, you use Command+Option+V. Adding the Option key makes the paste a move rather than copy.

Dec 30, 2016 11:35 AM in response to vytalman

Yes, there are universal keyboard shortcuts for undo/cut/copy/paste/clear and have not ever changed since the Macintosh was released over 30 years ago.

You can check the Keyboard System Prefs to see if you have somehow assigned those to something else, but I don't think that is possible.

Do they not work in all applications, or just some?

If you are speaking about Finder, you cannot "cut" a file. You can Copy it, then use the Move shortcut (cmd-opt-v) to move it somewhere else. Dragging seems like it would have been much faster by now.

Dec 30, 2016 11:32 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Once I deleted the built-in keyboard shortcut for zoom, I was able to use it for cut and paste for text. Perhaps that should be documented somewhere in the list of keyboard shortcuts for Apple's site as a side note. Something like, "*Will only work if zoom shortcut is disabled." 😉 I wonder if this was removed in an OS update but somehow was not disabled on my end. The world may never know...

Command-x does not work for "cut" in macOS Sierra.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.