Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Client mode for newer Airport Express?

I can't find the client mode option in my newer airport express setup with airport utility. I have only 3 choices. Is that no longer available? My older expresses are being used as iTunes outlets to audio equipment in client mode. My newer ones I want to be a 'wired' connection for my Tivo Mini's but they are passing out wireless access to iPhones and other wireless devices, splitting up my bandwidth. No good for my uses. What am I missing in the setup, seems idiot proof, so call me an idiot....

Posted on Dec 27, 2016 8:22 AM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2016 8:52 AM in response to dancarmack

Client mode is basically the same as bridge mode for the AirPort Express base station. Just choose: Off (Bridge Mode) for Router Mode on the Network tab in the AirPort Utility.

In bridge mode, both the DHCP and NAT services are disabled and the base station will perform as a combination wireless access point and Ethernet switch.

Dec 28, 2016 6:44 AM in response to dancarmack

If you have another Apple router already producing a wireless network signal, and you add an Airport Express, the setup "wizard" will by default configure the AirPort Express to "extend a wireless network" to provide additional wireless coverage.

If you want the AirPort Express to operate in "client mode"......in which case it will not provide additional wireless coverage.....you will need to use AirPort Utility to go into the settings for the Express and change the setting for wireless network mode from the current "extend a wireless network" to "join a wireless network". When the Express "joins" a network, it is in client mode......a fact that Apple does not make very clear.

So, if the scenario above might apply to you, then you can change the setting on the Express to "join a wireless network" and the Express will be in client mode.

IF.....your wireless network is being provided by a third-party wireless router, then the setup wizard will configure the Express to "join a wireless network" automatically, so the Express is already setup in "client mode"....but you may not have been aware of this.

If you want to check some settings on the Express, or set it up again and need some tips, we need to know what operating system you are running on your Mac, or whether you use an iPhone or iPad for the setup of the AirPort Express.

This Apple document might help......or it might make things more confusing.

AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode - Apple Support

Dec 28, 2016 6:47 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I don't get the "This Solved My Question" button to work for this reply, but this solved my question. After setting the device up I can select it in Airport Utility, then I get the option to 'join a network' and update the device. In setup there is no 'join the network' but there is after the first setup. Now my devices are just clients like I originally wanted.

Dec 28, 2016 7:04 AM in response to dancarmack

In setup there is no 'join the network'

Correct. As I mentioned above, that is because you have another Apple router and the setup "wizard" always assumes in this case that you want the Express to "extend" the wireless network to provide additional wireless signal strength and coverage.

It guesses correctly in most cases, since that is what most users want to do with an Express, in addition to having it provide AirPlay services, etc.

Client mode for newer Airport Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.