Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad, Windows 10 and Bluetooth

So, I finally have a motherboard on my PC that supports Bluetooth and I've managed to pair my Win10 Pro with my iPad Air. What now? I can't figure out how to transfer files between my iPad and Windows. Is there a way? If there isn't, why does iOS even let you complete pairing.

iPad Air, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 27, 2016 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2016 4:42 PM

I'm surprised that you were able to pair them. Normally an iPhone or iPad will not pair via Bluetooth to a computer (Mac or Windows) except for personal hotspot and then only if your cellular plan supports it. See the following for more information. Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or iPad with another iOS device or with my computer?

You can share things with other Apple devices via Airdrop and that does involve Bluetooth but the devices are NOT paired; Bluetooth just needs to be on and the devices in range of each other. I'm not aware of a way to do it with a Windows computer. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2016 4:42 PM in response to Psoglav

I'm surprised that you were able to pair them. Normally an iPhone or iPad will not pair via Bluetooth to a computer (Mac or Windows) except for personal hotspot and then only if your cellular plan supports it. See the following for more information. Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or iPad with another iOS device or with my computer?

You can share things with other Apple devices via Airdrop and that does involve Bluetooth but the devices are NOT paired; Bluetooth just needs to be on and the devices in range of each other. I'm not aware of a way to do it with a Windows computer. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144

Aug 11, 2017 5:00 AM in response to Psoglav

Yeah, I agree. The iPhone and iPad are nice, but Apple's insistence on not working well with anything that is Microsoft is limiting their potential.

I am a 30+ year computer professional (software development), and my main system runs Linux. I use Windows PCs on a daily basis, and of course iPhones. My wife has an iPad because it is the smallest/lightest device for her Kindle usage. I dread it when I come home and she has an issue with her iPad. I want her to go to an MS Surface Pro, but she says it's too heavy for her to take to book club. Sigh.

Dec 27, 2016 4:42 PM in response to FoxFifth

Well, that answers it and is helpful, but it is yet another reason I will never purchase an Apple product. This iPad was given to me last Christmas and although it is very nice, Apple really limited it with the requirement to use the horrible iTunes to get files to and from it. Plug a USB cord from a PC to an Android device and you see the entire contents of your Android with no extra software. Why can't Apple get something that simple working.

iPad, Windows 10 and Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.