Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset my Apple Watch after buying second hand?

I've bough an Apple Watch second hand and I can't reset it or pair with my device as it is second hand. It says it is paired with a device but it's not my device. Help?

Posted on Dec 27, 2016 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2016 1:37 AM

Hi

You are describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

To be able to pair the watch to your own iPhone, you would need the previous owner (who may not be the seller) to either enter their Apple ID and password on your iPhone or to turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/ by signing in with their Apple ID > Settings > My Devices > Click on Apple Watch > Click on the "X" > click on Remove.

If you cannot arrange for the previous owner to do this, you should return the watch for a refund.

You will not otherwise be able to use the watch.

There is no way around this security feature.

If you purchased the watch via a website such as eBay, it was misdescribed by the seller and the seller cannot be reached or will not remove the lock, consider lodging a claim (eg under the eBay Money Back Guarantee).

More information:

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2016 1:37 AM in response to Aaroncave

Hi

You are describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

To be able to pair the watch to your own iPhone, you would need the previous owner (who may not be the seller) to either enter their Apple ID and password on your iPhone or to turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/ by signing in with their Apple ID > Settings > My Devices > Click on Apple Watch > Click on the "X" > click on Remove.

If you cannot arrange for the previous owner to do this, you should return the watch for a refund.

You will not otherwise be able to use the watch.

There is no way around this security feature.

If you purchased the watch via a website such as eBay, it was misdescribed by the seller and the seller cannot be reached or will not remove the lock, consider lodging a claim (eg under the eBay Money Back Guarantee).

More information:

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Dec 27, 2016 2:33 PM in response to Aaroncave

Your watch may have an activation lock. See this support article: About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The previous owner needs to unpair the watch from the iPhone it is paired with.

Turn off Activation Lock before you send your Apple Watch in for service, sell it, or give it away

Before you send your Apple Watch in for service, sell it, or give it away, you should turn off Activation Lock on your Apple Watch. Just unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone:

1. Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together.
  2. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap the My Watch tab.
  3. Tap your watch name at the top of the screen, then tap User uploaded file.
  4. Tap Unpair Apple Watch.
  5. Enter your Apple ID password. If you forgot your Apple ID password, you can reset it.
  6. Tap again to confirm.

If you can't access your iPhone or Apple Watch, or if your Apple Watch isn't paired with your iPhone and you need to turn off Activation Lock:

1. On a computer, go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.
  4. Click Erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.
  5. Click User uploaded file next to your Apple Watch.

How to reset my Apple Watch after buying second hand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.