Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Photos thumbnails blank

i have tried the method that saying show photos in Year mode in Collection and turn on memory and event all these, anyway, i turned those off, and also not solve

restarted phone not solve

i forgot since which version of iOS it happened, but recently i changed to new iphone 7 plus, the problem it is still there, so, dont tell me about restore and format coz they didnt solve the problem

who can help me?

User uploaded file

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 27, 2016 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2017 2:56 AM

I have this issue too. The iPhone has been connected to power and wifi for days. iPhone iCloud Photo Library setting is Optimise iPhone Storage. There are several GB free iPhone storage. There are less than 900 photos & videos in total. All other indications are that the iCloud sync is complete. New photos, and deletions and reflected immediately. They all appear ok in Photos (Mac) and from iCloud.com (Mac).

What would be the next step please? I don't really want to turn-off iCloud Photo Library and turn-it-on again. But if no other ideas i'd be prepared to try that.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2017 2:56 AM in response to léonie

I have this issue too. The iPhone has been connected to power and wifi for days. iPhone iCloud Photo Library setting is Optimise iPhone Storage. There are several GB free iPhone storage. There are less than 900 photos & videos in total. All other indications are that the iCloud sync is complete. New photos, and deletions and reflected immediately. They all appear ok in Photos (Mac) and from iCloud.com (Mac).

What would be the next step please? I don't really want to turn-off iCloud Photo Library and turn-it-on again. But if no other ideas i'd be prepared to try that.

Jan 6, 2017 1:54 AM in response to averynkh

On the iPhone I turned-off iCloud Photo Library - about half the photos were removed (had expected all would have been removed). I deleted the remaining - a mix of both white/blank and real images. I went to recently deleted folder and deleted them all from there too. Then I switched iCloud Photo Library ON (with Optimise iPhone Storage selected). After a period I checked and all the image thumbnails are good (remember in the problem state the thumbnails were blank/white and also blank/white when enlarged for viewing).

This was an acceptable solution for me when I had a relatively few number of photos (<1,000) and wasn't storing the full-res image on the iPhone. I expect with a larger collection with originals to be on iPhone it'd be a very long painful process.

Jan 6, 2017 3:05 AM in response to rogue.one

about half the photos were removed (had expected all would have been removed).

If you turn off iCloud Photo Library, the iPhone will remove all thumbnails of the photos that have been optimized. The photos downloaded to the iPhone in full resolution will remain. When you enable iCloud Photo Library again, the remaining photos will be merged into iCloud Photo Library and the deleted photos will download again from iCloud.

Dec 28, 2016 4:53 AM in response to averynkh

Are you using iCloud Photo Library? In that case the sync with iCloud has probably not yet finished and the synced photos need still to download from iCloud. have you tried to keep the iPhone connected to power and to Wi-Fi and let it finish the syncing?

Do the empty thumbnails change, if you enlarge the photos with the white thumbnails?

iOS Photos thumbnails blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.