You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just want the watch to simply track my daily steps. How do I get this working?

I just want to track daily steps a la a FitBit. How do I get this working?

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 27, 2016 9:35 PM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2016 11:29 PM in response to bjmuniz1

As Mr Stupid said, the watch tracks your steps automatically, whether you carry your iPhone with you or not.

But you can improve the results by keeping your data accurate and calibrating your watch.

This Help text explains how to enter your personal data - age, gender, weight: https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd7d17e9500

And this explains how to calibrate your watch: Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy

You will see recorded steps even without calibrating, but if you calibrate the watch it will learn the length of your stride.

Dec 28, 2016 2:13 AM in response to bjmuniz1

Hi

The Activity app on Apple Watch tracks your steps automatically, during general daily wear and also during any workouts.

If you have not yet set up the Activity app:

• When viewing the time on your watch face, tap on the Activity rings icon / complication (if shown).
  • Or go the Home screen (via a single press of the Digital Crown) and tap on the Activity app icon (coloured rings).
  • To get started, you will need to enter some personal information.

Your daily steps total can then be viewed via the Activity app on your watch (open the app and scroll to the bottom of the screen).

Steps is not among the goals (Exercise, Stand and Move) that the Activity app reports in the daily progress rings, so steps data cannot be added to the watch face using the built-in app.

If you would like to keep track of your steps on the watch face, you can instead add a complication using a third-party app.

Apps that you may wish to consider include, for example:

Pedometer++

User uploaded file

Watch My Health

HealthDash for Health App

More information:

Change the watch face on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I just want the watch to simply track my daily steps. How do I get this working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.