Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Windows cannot locate the disk and partition specified"

I can partition my hard drive perfectly, but when I get to the page where you can install windows and move files and such, I keep getting this error message.

Posted on Dec 28, 2016 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2017 5:51 AM

I got the exact same Windows 10 install error about <ImageInstall> on a late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touchbar. I had the exact same error screen as the original poster posted to imager below.

But I found a much easier fix than pointed out later/elsewhere:

- After the Windows 10 install error, Mac automatically boots back to OS X.
- TIP 1: Unplug the USB Stick or USB Hard disk you were possibly using to hold the Windows 10 ISO image. It is possible that this has been the issue all the time, that Windows or Bootcamp get confused about too many disks being attached. So remove the disk or stick.
- Now Reboot the Mac by yourself.
- TIP 2: While Mac reboots, HOLD DOWN the ALT -key. This opens up an operating system / disk menu, from where you can select WINDOWS instead of pre-selected macOS. Use arrow keys and enter to select. Trackpad/mouse wasn't working at all for me.
– Your Mac now continues to reboot back to the Windows installation process. Turns out that this time the Windows install doesn't get confused about disks (or something), and installation goes like a breeze after that.

No need for any of that quite technical "GPT fdisk" stuff.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2017 5:51 AM in response to Mac'Man

I got the exact same Windows 10 install error about <ImageInstall> on a late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touchbar. I had the exact same error screen as the original poster posted to imager below.

But I found a much easier fix than pointed out later/elsewhere:

- After the Windows 10 install error, Mac automatically boots back to OS X.
- TIP 1: Unplug the USB Stick or USB Hard disk you were possibly using to hold the Windows 10 ISO image. It is possible that this has been the issue all the time, that Windows or Bootcamp get confused about too many disks being attached. So remove the disk or stick.
- Now Reboot the Mac by yourself.
- TIP 2: While Mac reboots, HOLD DOWN the ALT -key. This opens up an operating system / disk menu, from where you can select WINDOWS instead of pre-selected macOS. Use arrow keys and enter to select. Trackpad/mouse wasn't working at all for me.
– Your Mac now continues to reboot back to the Windows installation process. Turns out that this time the Windows install doesn't get confused about disks (or something), and installation goes like a breeze after that.

No need for any of that quite technical "GPT fdisk" stuff.

"Windows cannot locate the disk and partition specified"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.