Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I UNPAIR a Siri remote from Apple TV 4?

I do not need to know how to pair a remote. I would like to know how to unpair an existing (broken) remote that is still paired so that I can then pair a new remote.

Apple TV, tvOS 10.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2016 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 12:48 PM

1. You can unlink your apple tv 4 remote. I did it myself following this instructions.
  2. Set your remote within three inches of and pointing at your Apple TV. Then press and hold your remote's Menu and Volume Up buttons for five seconds to pair your devices.
  3. Unplug your Apple TV from the wall power outlet. Wait at least six seconds, then plug it back in.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2017 12:48 PM in response to slingkong

1. You can unlink your apple tv 4 remote. I did it myself following this instructions.
  2. Set your remote within three inches of and pointing at your Apple TV. Then press and hold your remote's Menu and Volume Up buttons for five seconds to pair your devices.
  3. Unplug your Apple TV from the wall power outlet. Wait at least six seconds, then plug it back in.

Dec 5, 2017 6:20 PM in response to jimcruz

I was stuck here for about 30 minutes, because after ”resetting” my old broken remote it would immediately re-pair itself. This was maddening! The final solution was to reset the remote (for the 20th time) and then unplug the AppleTV for the required amount of time. Even though the old remote looked paired when I unplugged the AppleTV, my new remote could pair itself when the unit rebooted.

Dec 29, 2016 6:48 PM in response to slingkong

Hello slingkong,
Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help impairing your remote. Please check these two articles:
1. Get help with the remote for your Apple TV
2. Link or unlink your Apple Remote (aluminum or white) from your Apple TV
I know the second article specifically talks about the remote from the 3rd Generation of Apple TV, but please try the steps provided in these articles to see if they solve your issue. If you need more help or the steps do not resolve the issue, we will be more than happy to continue working on this with you.
Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Dec 30, 2016 5:48 AM in response to sterling r

Thanks for the info sterling. I just spoke with support and there is no "unpair" ability. For anyone else that may have this problem here is my setup and solution:

- 1 Apple TV 4 in my living room (broken remote) and 1 Apple TV 4 in my basement - both have Siri remotes

- To use the original basement Siri remote with my living room ATV4:

-- Power off the basement ATV (this is what I was not doing previously)

-- Pair the basement Siri remote with the living room ATV as normal (Menu + Volume Up)

All's well now.

How do I UNPAIR a Siri remote from Apple TV 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.