Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2016 keys malfunctioning?

Hi.

Some keys of the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar seem to be malfunctioning.

I've read that some users were complaining about the Enter key, but I'm having an issue with the Caps Lock key.

It's randomly not clicking (and it's very noticeable since the green LED doesn't light up after some taps) though there's no apparent dust or visual issue with the key.

Is anyone having similar issue with the new MacBook Pro keyboard (which is great by the way)? If so, did it improve over time?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2016 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2017 6:41 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to merge all of these reports in a single thread in the hope that Apple will provide a response and a solution. I believe this is a macOS issue.

For more, go to:

MacBook Pro 2016 Random Key Repeat Keyboard Issue

5 replies

Jan 2, 2018 5:34 PM in response to macOS11

I have the issue with a MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2014, using the latest OS, and have intermittently seen the issue for several months. Most of the time, it's not an issue. My issue is the 'n' key. It works fine for weeks. Then it stops completely and I have to find some other 'n' and "N" to copy and paste for that often-used character. After a few minutes, a bunch of nnnnnnnn's show up, almost like it was buffering them up for the last several minutes. It doesn't dump them all in at once, but I just had the issue a moment ago. When it transitions to working and I press an 'n' key, a tooltip pops up showing ñ and some other n I think, which I only get when this issue is about to go away.

Then, if I wrote this sentence, when it had a problem, and then again later, it might turn out like this...

The, if I wrote this setece, whe it had a problem, ad the agai later, it might tur out like this...

Thnen, nnif I wronte thisn sentence, when it had a problem, annd then again later, nnnnit might tnurn out linke this...

I sometimes wonder if dirt got into the tiny gaps of the keyboard, which I wish were sealed. But when the problem resolves itself, and letters come up with no key motion, it does make me think the OS/firmware might be the issue, although a mechanical issue such as dirt isn't completely ruled out. Again, sealed keys would help prevent many key issues, and it would make them easier to clean.

MacBook Pro 2016 keys malfunctioning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.