Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External GPU for MacBook Pro

Hi everybody,

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, early 2015) with 8GB DDR3, a 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor and an Intel Iris Graphics card. I used to use my Mac only for Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign and that kind of programs.

But since a year I have been working with After Effects and since a couple of months with Cinema 4D. That's the moment I realised a MacBook with an Intel Iris graphics card is not good enough for working on complex 2D and simple 3D animations. My frame rate when working on 2D animations usually doesn't get above 14 to 18 f/s. This is a big problem for fast and accurate work.

I don't really want to buy another/better computer so I'm researching what my possibilities are. I came across an external GPU. I have compared a lot of eGPU's and I think Inno3D is one of the best price/quality-wise for me. I have my eye on the Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060.

I have found a couple of GTX 1060's which are approximately the same and I really can't find which one is the better one. I would like to hear opinions from people with knowledge about eGPU's or Inno3D in particular. Or maybe when you're reading this you might think I have a better option for you in the price range of approximately $200-$350. These are the ones I have my eye on:

- Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 iChill X3 6GB

- Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming OC 6GB

- Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 X2 6GB

- Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 Twin X2 6GB

- Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

My assumption is that the 'iChill X3 6GB' is the best, possibly together with the 'Gaming OC 6GB'. When I had to choose on my own right now I would choose the 'iChill X3 6GB', but it doesn't exceed the others that much in my opinion.

I hope some of you guys can help me and come up with good tips. Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Toby One Kenobi

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 30, 2016 4:35 AM

There are no replies.

External GPU for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.