Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Superdrive and use external instead?

Hello Apple Community,

I have a 2011 iMac and my Superdrive is broken. I have purchased a USB external drive, which works fine with iTunes but doesn't seem to work with other application like Burn or Burner.

How can I disable the Superdrive and use the external instead? Is there a method to remove the Superdrive from being recognised and the external to be the recognised DVD/CD drive?

I have looked at adding the mbasd=1 line to the apple.com.Boot.plist but it states the file is in use when I try to save.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 10.2, null

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 4:40 AM

5 replies

Dec 31, 2016 9:47 AM in response to JokinJP

Run the following from Terminal, but it depends what operating system. The first is first anything pre-Yosemite. Go to the bottom for the way to do Yosemite and up. Be certain to type it exactly as stated below (excluding the word type)

Type: sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist (Press Enter)

Type: your Admin Password (it will not look like you are typing anything, but you are) (Press Enter)

Change the area that says: <string>x</string>

to

<string>mbasd=1</string>

Type Control+X

On Yosemite or El Capitan,

Type: sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1” (Press Enter)

Type: reboot

Let me know if you have any questions before you do it. I would be happy to clarify!

Good luck!

How to disable Superdrive and use external instead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.