Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fast User Switching Problem (Sometimes Cannot open applications with two accounts logged in)

Hi there,

I'm using a Late 2012 21.5" iMac running Sierra (10.12.2), (though the problem has existed for some time, I believe dating back to El Capitan).

I'm running into some problems with Fast User Switching.

The main problem seems to be that after two users are logged in for a while (might take anywhere from a few days to a week) we run into a problem where everything slows down quite a bit and launching new applications gives us an error message that says something to the effect of "Cannot open this Application" new processes generally can't spawn but the computer keeps running processes that are already running, albeit generally pretty slowly.

In the past I've mostly fixed this by just restarting the computer because it seems like the fastest way to solve it, and it always seems to crop up when I or my wife have something we need to get done, This especially annoys my wife because she doesn't actually use the iMac all that often (she does most everything on her iPad but occasionally needs to use the iMac) but quite often by the time she gets on the iMac we're experiencing the problem. It's gotten to the point that she doesn't want to log into her own account because it always seems slow and unusable. I'd prefer we keep using our own login's so things are exactly as we expect them to be when we get back to the computer (I tend to leave a lot of windows and tabs open for various projects, not to mention I'd prefer not to have gifts I'm buying for her ruined while I'm doing research, as almost happened this past month).

Until today I had only suspected that the issue was related to Fast User Switching, but hadn't had time to really dig into it to try and experiment and figure it out. Today I ran into the issue and did a bit more experimenting. Because I had some time Instead of just restarting the computer I switched over to my wife's account, (which takes a very long time whenever the issue is happening, which is another annoyance), and then logged her out and switched back to my account. Low and behold I could launch new programs again.

I've gone to the console and I can see when the problem is happening but I can't figure out what the root cause is. Below is some of the logs showing what I'm seeing when the problem is happening I haven't yet gone so far as to reinstall OS X and then load our info back on from a time machine backup, but I'm not against giving that a try, though I'd prefer something less drastic if anyone has any suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any further information.

Logs:

Dec 31 12:58:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iTunesCacheExtension): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iTunesCacheExtension): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Dec 31 12:58:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iTunesCacheExtension): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iBooks.CacheDelete): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iBooks.CacheDelete): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Dec 31 12:58:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iBooks.CacheDelete): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.42922E43-A512-4182-9CB8-D1C8966FEA07): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.42922E43-A512-4182-9CB8-D1C8966FEA07): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.42922E43-A512-4182-9CB8-D1C8966FEA07): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.gog.galaxy.commservice): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.gog.galaxy.commservice): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.gog.galaxy.commservice): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.gog.galaxy.commservice): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.gog.galaxy.commservice): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Dec 31 12:58:22 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.gog.galaxy.commservice): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:23 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.universalaccessd): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Dec 31 12:58:23 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.universalaccessd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Dec 31 12:58:23 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.universalaccessd): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 10:37 AM

29 replies

Aug 1, 2017 9:30 PM in response to Brandonshire

Your Mac isn't working properly. The first step in diagnosing a broken Mac is to rid it of any and all nonessential junk, a broad category that includes any product claiming to "clean", "maintain", or "protect" it.

"Cleaning" scams are destructive in nature. It's what they are and how they work.

Excerpted from Effective defenses against malware and other threats:

Never install any product that claims to "clean up", "speed up", "optimize", "boost" or "accelerate" your Mac; to "wash" it, "tune" it, or to make it "shiny". Those claims are absurd.

• Such products are very aggressively marketed. They are all scams.
  • They generally operate on the flawed premise that a Mac accumulates "junk" that needs to be routinely "cleaned out" for optimum performance.
  • Trial versions of those programs are successful because they provide the instant gratification of greater free disk space.
  • That increased space is the result of irreversible destruction of files, programs, or operating system components normally protected from inadvertent alteration or deletion. The eventual result will be unreliable operation, poor performance and random crashes that may not become evident for months or even years after their use, when updates to programs or OS X are eventually released.
  • Memory "cleaners" that circumvent OS X's memory management algorithms work by purging inactive memory contents to mass storage, which can only result in degraded performance and accelerated hardware failure.

Merely uninstalling ill-conceived "cleaning" apps, even when performed in strict accordance with their instructions (which often don't work) is usually an insufficient remedy due to the effects of having used them. Very briefly stated, the recovery procedure from having used such things is as follows, and in the following order:

1. Back up the Mac using Time Machine or an equivalent backup strategy
  2. Remove the scam "cleaning" products according to their instructions, and evaluate
  3. Reinstall macOS using macOS Recovery, and evaluate
  4. Reinstall all other potentially affected apps, and evaluate
  5. Erase the Mac completely, followed by reinstalling macOS, followed by reinstalling essential apps from their original sources, followed by migrating User content from the Time Machine backup.

Since the results of Steps 2-4 are almost always unsatisfactory, I omit them as unnecessarily time-consuming.

An expanded procedure for Step 5 is provided below the horizontal line. Be sure to read everything and understand its implications. Less drastic solutions certainly exist, but this one will probably result in the least amount of your time and need for constant interaction. It is also unequivocally supported by Apple's published documentation, is what a Genius Bar would do if you were to pay them to do it, and it is the exact same procedure I use given a Mac that has been affected by similarly categorized products.

To recover from the effects of having used "CleanMyMac" to modify macOS, the additional software you require and the essential files you need, follow the applicable recovery procedure below:

• If you have a backup that you created prior to using CleanMyMac, now is the time to use it. For Time Machine, boot macOS Recovery, and at the Mac OS X / macOS Utilities screen, choose Restore from Time Machine Backup. Choose a date preceding the installation of CleanMyMac.
  • If you do not have a backup that predates the use of CleanMyMac, create one now. To do that read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac
    • The recovery procedure will require that you completely erase the Mac using macOS Recovery, and then create a new User Account whose contents will be empty. You will then be able to use Setup Assistant to migrate your essential documents including photos, music, work products and other essential files.
    • To erase and install OS X / macOS read How to reinstall macOS.
      • Follow the instructions in that document under use Disk Utility to erase your built-in hard disk.
      • Then, follow the procedure in Move your content to a new Mac.
      • When asked how you want to transfer your information, select Transfer from a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk.
      • Under Select the Information to Transfer, select only your previous User account and do not select "Applications", "Computer and Network Settings" or "Other files and folders". De-select those choices.
    • Subsequent to using Setup Assistant, you will need to reinstall the essential software you may require, once again remembering to install software only from their original sources, and omitting all non-essential software.
    • "Non-essential software" is a broad category that includes but is not limited to third party "cleaning", "maintenance", and "anti-virus" products.

Jul 30, 2017 2:15 PM in response to Brandonshire

Also I just reproduced the problem, and was able to get Acitivty Monitor running (acutally had it running just before the problem started). The "memory used" section showed only 11.46 GB, with 11.95 GB of Cached Files.

Here's a photo of Activity monitor while the issue was happening (sorted by memory usage):

User uploaded file

Any ideas? I don't think it's a lack of RAM that's the problem...

Aug 4, 2017 6:44 PM in response to Brandonshire

Ok, that was in fact the solution. I checked the process limit and it was in fact 512 for some reason. I went ahead and bumped that up as per the instruction in the link below. (I bumped up the file limit a little too though I never had that particular issue but with more processes running I could see hitting the file limit more easily, especially with two accounts running correctly.) I was able to get up to 600ish processes between the two accounts, with just about every app I could possibly run with no problems.

(I didn't bump up the number as much as this article did, but bumped it up a fair bit). Anyway, if anyone else is having this issue or a similar one, check to see what your process limit is and if you might be bumping up against it, and then see about raising the process limit per the instructions below. Also, I didn't find that I needed to turn off system integrity protection to do it. Not sure why the article indicates that'd be necessary.

One last bit of warning. From what I've been able to tell, from reading the process for raising the process limit seems to change every time there's a new version of Mac OS, or at least has the last bunch of versions, so it's entirely possible the procedure to do this will be different once High Sierra comes out. I'm hoping that my changes will at least be preserved when it comes out (assuming the change the proceedure again).

Evade the macOS 'Too Many Open Files' Error by Pushing the Limits - The Mac Observer

Jan 1, 2017 2:15 PM in response to Brandonshire

Hi there, Brandonshire.
Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! It appears that you're needing to restart your iMac to be able to use fast user switching between your and your wife's user profiles. Your iMac slows down considerably and isn't able to load another application without a restart. I'll be happy to help.​
Use Activity Monitor on your Mac -- Use the Activity Monitor to determine whether you need to quit one or more applications or install more RAM.

Let me know what you find and take care!

Aug 1, 2017 6:15 PM in response to Brandonshire

Ok, here is my EtreCheck report. I don't see anything obviously wrong that would seem to lead to these issues, but, perhaps you guys will spot something I haven't.

EtreCheck version: 3.4.2 (436)

Report generated 2017-08-01 21:11:36

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 2:38

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Lookup] links for more information from Apple Support Communities.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Other problem

Description:

Hardware Information:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

iMac - model: iMac18,3

1 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-7600K) CPU: 4-core

24 GB RAM Upgradeable - [Instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz ok

BANK 0/DIMM1

8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

iCloud Quota: 24.05 GB available

Video Information:

Radeon Pro 580 - VRAM: 8192 MB

iMac 5120 x 2880

Disk Information:

APPLE HDD ST2000DM001 disk1: (2 TB) (Rotational)

[Show SMART report]

EFI (disk1s1 - MS-DOS FAT32) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB

(disk1s2) <not mounted> [CoreStorage Container]: 2.00 TB

Recovery HD (disk1s3 - Journaled HFS+) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

APPLE SSD SM0128L disk0: (121.33 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

(disk0s1) <not mounted> [EFI]: 315 MB

(disk0s2) <not mounted> [CoreStorage Container]: 120.88 GB

(disk0s3) <not mounted> [Boot]: 134 MB

USB Information:

USB30Bus

VIA Labs, Inc. USB3.0 Hub

JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Brid

724040ALE640 disk3: (4 TB)

EFI (disk3s1 - MS-DOS FAT32) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB

(disk3s2) <not mounted> [CoreStorage Container]: 4.00 TB

Boot OS X (disk3s3 - HFS+) <not mounted> : 134 MB

Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

VIA Labs, Inc. USB2.0 Hub

VIA Labs, Inc. USB2.0 Hub

USB2.0 Hub

USB2.0 Hub

Sunplus Innovation Technology USB to Serial-ATA bridge

HD103SI disk4: (1 TB)

EFI (disk4s1 - MS-DOS FAT32) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB

Enter The Dragon (disk4s2 - Journaled HFS+) /Volumes/Enter The Dragon : 999.86 GB (734.32 GB free)

Western Digital Ext HDD 1021

Ext HDD 1021 disk5: (2 TB)

EFI (disk5s1 - MS-DOS FAT32) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB

Fist of Fury (disk5s2 - Journaled HFS+) /Volumes/Fist of Fury : 2.00 TB (129.94 GB free)

Griffin Technology, Inc iMic USB audio system

USB31Bus

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Virtual disks:

Giles (disk2 - Journaled HFS+) / [Startup]: 2.11 TB (1.61 TB free)

Encrypted AES-XTS Unlocked

Physical disk: disk0s2 120.88 GB Online

Physical disk: disk1s2 2.00 TB Online

Buffy (disk6 - Journaled HFS+) /Volumes/Buffy : 4.00 TB (1.33 TB free)

Encrypted AES-XTS Unlocked

Physical disk: disk3s2 4.00 TB Online

System Software:

macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) - Time since boot: about one day

Configuration files:

/etc/sysctl.conf - File exists but not expected

/etc/launchd.conf - File exists but not expected

Gatekeeper:

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions:

/Applications/TechTool Pro 9.app

[not loaded] com.micromat.driver.spdKernel (1.0 - SDK 10.11) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.micromat.driver.spdKernel-10-8 (1.0 - SDK 10.8) [Lookup]

/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.microsoft.VirtualPC.Networking.1040 (7.0.2) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore (5.2.7 (26979) - SDK 10.4) [Lookup]

[not loaded] org.fuse4x.kext.fuse4x (0.9.2 - SDK 10.5) [Lookup]

[not loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (3.0.6) [Lookup]

[not loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (3.0.6) [Lookup]

[not loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (3.0.6) [Lookup]

[not loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (3.0.6) [Lookup]

/Library/Extensions/Seagate Storage Driver.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_4 (5.2.7 (26979) - SDK 10.4) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_5 (5.2.7 (26979) - SDK 10.5) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.seagate.driver.SeagateDriveIcons (5.2.7 (26979) - SDK 10.4) [Lookup]

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.Belcarra.iokit.USBLAN_netpart (2.0.2) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.Belcarra.iokit.USBLAN_usbpart (2.0.2) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.Logitech.driver.HIDDevices (2.1.3) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.RemoteControl.USBLAN.usbpart (2.0.6) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.logmein.driver.LogMeInSoundDriver (4.1.4631) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.makemkv.kext.daspi (1.5) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.palm.ClassicNotSeizeDriver (3.2) [Lookup]

/System/Library/Extensions/Belcarra.USBLAN_netpart.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.belcarra.iokit.netpart.panther (1.6.1) [Lookup]

/System/Library/Extensions/Belcarra.USBLAN_usbpart.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.belcarra.iokit.usbpart.panther (1.6.1) [Lookup]

/System/Library/Extensions/RemoteControl.USBLAN_usbpart.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.RemoteControl.USBLAN.panther (1.6.1) [Lookup]

~/Library/Application Support/Plex/Plex Media Server.app

[not loaded] com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.5.1) [Lookup]

~/Library/Services/ToastIt.service/Contents/MacOS

[not loaded] com.roxio.TDIXController (2.0) [Lookup]

Startup Items:

Firewall: Path: /Library/StartupItems/Firewall

SETI@home: Path: /Library/StartupItems/SETI@home

TiVoDesktop: Path: /Library/StartupItems/TiVoDesktop

Startup items no longer function in OS X Yosemite or later

System Launch Agents:

[not loaded] 6 Apple tasks

[loaded] 169 Apple tasks

[running] 107 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] 40 Apple tasks

[loaded] 171 Apple tasks

[running] 106 Apple tasks

Launch Agents:

[failed] com.adobe.ARMDCHelper.cc24aef4a1b90ed56a725c38014c95072f92651fb65e1bf9c8e43c37a2 3d420d.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2017-01-11) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.gog.galaxy.commservice.plist (GOG Poland sp. z o.o. - installed 2016-12-31) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2017-07-10) [Lookup]

[running] com.micromat.TechToolProAgent.plist (Micromat, Inc. - installed 2017-07-25) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist (? eff55885 be93c7fb - installed 2017-05-27) [Lookup]

[running] com.seagate.SeagateStorageGauge.plist (? 56ce0920 362bd442 - installed 2011-02-05) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2016-11-13) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_desktop.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2016-06-03) [Lookup]

[loaded] org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist (? 132c7c19 8a75002f - installed 2016-10-17) [Lookup]

[loaded] org.fuse4x.autoupdater.plist (? af184f68 b3551352 - installed 2012-08-29) [Lookup]

[loaded] org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist (Apple Inc. - XQuartz - installed 2012-09-27) [Lookup]

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.Communicator.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2017-01-11) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2017-01-11) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (? 2afb3af7 178755d7 - installed 2017-06-23) [Lookup]

[running] com.backblaze.bzserv.plist (Backblaze - installed 2017-04-12) [Lookup]

[running] com.bourgeoisbits.cloak.cloakd.plist (Bourgeois Bits LLC - installed 2017-07-02) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.bourgeoisbits.cloak.cloakproxyd.plist (Bourgeois Bits LLC - installed 2017-07-02) [Lookup]

[running] com.connecteddata.CDHelperApp.plist (Connected Data Inc - installed 2015-06-07) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.gog.galaxy.ClientService.plist (GOG Poland sp. z o.o. - installed 2017-03-02) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2017-07-26) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Agent.plist (MacPaw Inc. - installed 2017-06-09) [Lookup]

[running] com.micromat.TechToolProDaemon.plist (Micromat, Inc. - installed 2017-07-25) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2017-07-22) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist (? 6d8cb30e c99e903e - installed 2014-11-17) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2017-03-09) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (Shell Script e3fefdd2 - installed 2017-03-15) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.raynersw.nshctldo.plist (? 57633f9a a79124ff - installed 2014-10-05) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.regularrateandrhythm.rowmotehelperaide.plist (Evan Schoenberg, M.D. - installed 2013-06-03) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.rogueamoeba.instanton-agent.plist (Rogue Amoeba Software, LLC - installed 2017-05-18) [Lookup]

[running] com.seagate.TBDecorator.plist (? 595582c 3a68a860 - installed 2015-07-17) [Lookup]

[running] com.silicondust.dvr.plist (? 63375bfe 5bfbb9e1 - installed 2015-08-26) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.surteesstudios.Bartender.BartenderInstallHelper.plist (Surtees Studios Limited - installed 2016-09-03) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.teamviewer.Helper.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2016-05-02) [Lookup]

[not loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_service.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2016-11-13) [Lookup]

[not loaded] org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist (? e1cd8f49 8a75002f - installed 2016-10-17) [Lookup]

[loaded] org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist (Apple Inc. - XQuartz - installed 2012-09-27) [Lookup]

User Launch Agents:

[running] com.backblaze.bzbmenu.plist (Backblaze - installed 2017-07-31) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2017-07-20) [Lookup]

[running] com.ecamm.printopia.plist (Decisive Tactics, Inc. - installed 2017-07-06) [Lookup]

[running] com.getchannels.dvr.plist (Fancy Bits, LLC - installed 2017-07-29) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac3.Scheduler.plist (MacPaw Inc. - installed 2017-07-24) [Lookup]

[loaded] com.valvesoftware.steamclean.plist (? 73c34fac 9280bbdd - installed 2017-07-31) [Lookup]

User Login Items:

Bartender 2 Application

(/Applications/Bartender 2.app)

iTunesHelper Application - Hidden (Apple, Inc. - installed 2017-07-25)

(/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Music Manager Application - Hidden

(~/Library/PreferencePanes/MusicManager.prefPane/Contents/Helpers/MusicManagerH elper.app)

Dropbox Application - Hidden

(/Applications/Dropbox.app)

iTunes Application - Hidden

(/Applications/iTunes.app)

Airfoil Application

(/Applications/Airfoil 5/Airfoil.app)

Google Photos Backup Application

(/Applications/Google Photos Backup.app)

Plex Media Server Application

(/Applications/Plex Media Server.app)

CleanMyMac 3 Menu Application (MacPaw Inc. - installed 2017-06-09)

(/Applications/CleanMyMac 3.app/Contents/MacOS/CleanMyMac 3 Menu.app)

SoundSource Application - Hidden

(/Applications/SoundSource.app)

CleanMyMac 3 Menu Application (MacPaw Inc. - installed 2017-06-09)

(/Applications/CleanMyMac 3.app/Contents/MacOS/CleanMyMac 3 Menu.app)

Cloak Application

(/Applications/Cloak.app)

BOINCManager Application - Hidden

(/Applications/BOINCManager.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: 17.009.20058 (installed 2017-07-11) [Lookup]

Flash Player: 26.0.0.137 (installed 2017-07-25) [Lookup]

ContentUploaderPlugin: 1.0 (installed 2006-12-15) [Lookup]

AdobePDFViewer: 17.009.20058 (installed 2017-07-11) [Lookup]

eMusicRemote: Unknown (installed 2011-10-06) [Lookup]

googletalkbrowserplugin: 5.41.3.0 (installed 2015-12-11) [Lookup]

iPhotoPhotocast: 7.0 (installed 2011-02-05)

PepperFlashPlayer: 26.0.0.137 (installed 2017-07-11) [Lookup]

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (installed 2017-07-20)

FlashPlayer-10.6: 26.0.0.137 (installed 2017-07-25) [Lookup]

AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin: AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin 1.0.17 (installed 2012-05-13) [Lookup]

eMusic: Unknown (installed 2011-10-06)

DivXBrowserPlugin: 1.2 (installed 2006-11-29) [Lookup]

Silverlight: 5.1.41212.0 (installed 2016-06-25) [Lookup]

AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin101750: AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin 1.0.17 (installed 2013-03-13) [Lookup]

SharePointBrowserPlugin: 14.5.8 (installed 2015-11-11) [Lookup]

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: 3.1.0.24 (installed 2013-02-20) [Lookup]

o1dbrowserplugin: 5.41.3.0 (installed 2015-12-16) [Lookup]

JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 131 build 11 (installed 2017-05-27) Check version

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: 12.3.6 (installed 2013-03-18) [Lookup]

Safari Extensions:

[enabled] 1Password - AgileBits - https://agilebits.com/onepassword (installed 2017-06-09)

[enabled] Ghostery - GHOSTERY, Inc. - https://www.ghostery.com/ (installed 2016-03-11)

[enabled] Instapaper - Instapaper Holdings Inc. - http://www.instapaper.com (installed 2017-06-28)

[enabled] Pinbar - Mario Fischer - http://www.chipwreck.de/blog/software/safari-pinboard-extension/ (installed 2011-07-12)

[disabled] SafariKeywordSearch - Arne Martin Aurlien - http://safarikeywordsearch.aurlien.net/ (installed 2013-07-09)

[disabled] Add To Amazon Wish List - Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/wishlist?ref=cm_wl_saf_ext (installed 2013-01-19)

Audio Plug-ins:

BartenderAudioPlugIn: 1.0.0 (installed 2015-12-01) [Lookup]

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Backblaze Backup (installed 2017-04-13) [Lookup]

Flash Player (installed 2017-06-23) [Lookup]

Flip4Mac WMV (installed 2013-01-09) [Lookup]

Java (installed 2017-05-27) [Lookup]

MusicManager (installed 2016-02-15) [Lookup]

Perian (installed 2011-07-23) [Lookup]

Printopia (installed 2017-03-28) [Lookup]

Seagate Dashboard for Mac OSX (installed 2015-11-19) [Lookup]

TechTool Protection (installed 2017-07-25) [Lookup]

Time Machine:

Skip System Files: NO

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Fist of Fury: Disk size: 2.00 TB Disk used: 1.87 TB

Enter The Dragon: Disk size: 999.86 GB Disk used: 265.54 GB

Giles: Disk size: 2.11 TB Disk used: 503.43 GB

Destinations:

Buffy [Local]

Total size: 4.00 TB

Total number of backups: 54

Oldest backup: 6/28/17, 4:00 AM

Last backup: 8/1/17, 7:26 PM

Size of backup disk: Too small

Backup size 4.00 TB < (Disk used 2.64 TB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU:

2% WindowServer

2% kernel_task

0% fontd

0% bzfilelist

0% Transmission

Top Processes by Memory:

1.66 GB kernel_task

664 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

617 MB iTunes

595 MB Mail

457 MB WindowServer

Top Processes by Network Use:

Input Output Process name

1.98 GB 4.31 GB Transmission

23 MB 2 MB mDNSResponder

19 MB 801 KB Mail

7 MB 4 MB Dropbox

215 KB 277 KB hdhomerun_record

Top Processes by Energy Use:

4.90 WindowServer

3.28 GoogleTalkPlugin

3.08 steam_osx

1.36 Transmission

Virtual Memory Information:

14.56 GB Available RAM

4.25 GB Free RAM

9.44 GB Used RAM

10.32 GB Cached files

25 MB Swap Used

Software installs:

Adobe Flash Player: (installed 2017-07-11)

Adobe Pepper Flash Player: (installed 2017-07-11)

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (17.009.20058): (installed 2017-07-11)

Microsoft AutoUpdate: (installed 2017-07-22)

Microsoft Outlook for Mac: (installed 2017-07-22)

Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac: (installed 2017-07-22)

Microsoft Excel for Mac: (installed 2017-07-22)

Microsoft OneNote for Mac: (installed 2017-07-22)

Microsoft Word for Mac: (installed 2017-07-22)

TechTool Pro 9: (installed 2017-07-22)

Soulver: 2.6.3 (installed 2017-07-27)

Install information may not be complete.

Diagnostics Information:

2017-07-31 08:03:27 MusicManagerHelper.app High CPU use [Open] [Details]

2017-07-31 07:57:21 Last shutdown cause: 3 - Hard shutdown

2017-07-31 07:54:15 Transmission.app Hang [Open]

2017-07-30 16:26:54 Finder.app Hang [Open]

2017-07-30 11:58:31 HandBrake.app High CPU use [Open] [Details]

Jan 1, 2017 3:21 PM in response to darren.s

So that's not quite correct, though close.

The issue with Fast User Switching and apps not being able to open, only happens after several days to a week or both accounts being open. If I log out one of the accounts things will return to (relative) normal. I suppose it could be a RAM issue, but i'm not sure. I have 16 gigs, and I'm generally not running anything too crazily RAM hungry, (and quitting programs doesn't seem to make any difference).

The next time it happens I'll try to fire up activity monitor and see what I see, but the first few times this happened I seem to recall trying to do that and finding that I couldn't launch Activity Monitor either.

Jul 30, 2017 1:54 PM in response to Brandonshire

Ok, resurrecting this thread.

I actually gave up on the issue previously and just waited to get a new iMac. I was hoping that'd solve the problem. Sadly it has not. I ran into the same issue just a few minutes ago. I now have 24GB of RAM so I'd be surprised if I was actually running out of available RAM, but here are the most recent logs from when it happened.

Any ideas or suggestions? This doesn't seem like the way things should work and again is preventing us from using separate accounts.

Jul 30 16:27:15 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.google.Chrome.1892): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:15 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.google.Chrome.1892): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:15 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.google.Chrome.1892): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:16 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.lateragent): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:16 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.lateragent): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:16 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.lateragent): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:16 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.1164): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:16 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.1164): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:16 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.1164): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.weather): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.weather): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.weather): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.stocks): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.stocks): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.stocks): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxiliary): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxiliary): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:17 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxiliary): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:18 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_i386): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:18 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_i386): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:18 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_i386): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:19 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.security.agent.login.00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000019024): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:19 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.security.agent.login.00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000019024): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:19 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.security.agent.login.00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000019024): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:19 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:19 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:19 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.single.06000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.single.06000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:21 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.single.06000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:23 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MTLCompilerService.80BED06F-64E8-4E75-B455-A896871C8D20): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:23 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MTLCompilerService.80BED06F-64E8-4E75-B455-A896871C8D20): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:23 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MTLCompilerService.80BED06F-64E8-4E75-B455-A896871C8D20): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:25 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.google.Chrome.1892): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:25 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.google.Chrome.1892): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:25 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.google.Chrome.1892): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:26 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.lateragent): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:26 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.lateragent): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:26 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.lateragent): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:26 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.1164): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:26 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.1164): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:26 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.1164): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.weather): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.weather): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.weather): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.stocks): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.stocks): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ncplugin.stocks): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxiliary): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxiliary): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:27 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxiliary): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:28 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_i386): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:28 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_i386): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:28 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_i386): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.security.agent.login.00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000019024): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.security.agent.login.00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000019024): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.security.agent.login.00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000019024): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iTunesCacheExtension): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iTunesCacheExtension): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.iTunesCacheExtension): assertion failed: 16G29: launchd + 139438 [0AC314B8-C89C-3912-8BB7-E3F92C847169]: 0x23

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dt.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dt.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dt.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension): assertion failed: 16G29: launchd + 139438 [0AC314B8-C89C-3912-8BB7-E3F92C847169]: 0x23

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service): Could not spawn trampoline /usr/libexec/xpcproxy: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Jul 30 16:27:29 BeanBrandoniMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service): Deferred spawn of service failed: 35: Resource temporarily unavailable

Aug 1, 2017 7:10 AM in response to Brandonshire

One additional bit of information. It actually almost seems like things are worse now than they were when the problem first started (which I'll remind you was on a totally different machine, the problem has followed me from one iMac to a new one). It seems to happen faster than it used to. When I used activity monitor for the post above I was able to get the problem to start within a few minutes of logging into my wife's account. Admittedly I was able to launch a couple of things first (like Safari and Chrome) but they started having problems loading pages and new tabs almost immediately. Interestingly, it seems like every once in a while they'll be able to spawn a new tab and load a web page in it but they will go back to having problems. Occasionally while the problem is happening I can get an app to launch, but then the next one I try will give me the same "Cannot open this Application" message.

I don't think it's a RAM issue, but I am wondering if there's some other issue that's causing the two accounts to "fight" over some resources? I've tried googleing the message in the console, but haven't found anything useful.

Aug 1, 2017 7:44 AM in response to Brandonshire

I don't think it's a RAM issue, but I am wondering if there's some other issue that's causing the two accounts to "fight" over some resources? I've tried googleing the message in the console, but haven't found anything useful.

It sure seems like some kind of deadlock as both accounts compete for some resource.

It is not surprising that the problem carried on from one mac to the other: I imagine that as you migrated you brought the applications, settings and accounts from the old mac to the new, and so you probably brought along the issue as well.

I suggest you run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck and post its report here. This will give as a notion of stuff such as launch agents, daemons, login items, that may be involved.

Aug 1, 2017 7:54 AM in response to Brandonshire

Try it with one account. It will give info about things that are system-wide and things that are specific to that account. Depending on what we see, it may or may not be worth running it from the other account, but for now I suggest you run from your own account, which I gather is the one most often used and where more things are likely to be installed.

Aug 2, 2017 4:53 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you. THAT is a potentially very helpful comment. I'll see about giving that a try.

However, before I go to quite that extreme a step, does anyone else see any other potential causes of the problem? I'd certainly prefer to find a solution that doesn't involve completely reinstalling the OS and essentially manually recreating my entire setup. (I'm not opposed to doing it eventually, but if there are other things I can try first I'd like to do that).

If/when I do take this step, are there any other specific programs listed in the Etrecheck report that anyone sees that I should avoid reinstalling?

Aug 2, 2017 9:41 AM in response to Brandonshire

It's actually not that bad, and given the alternative of selectively uninstalling various other potential culprits, that procedure I advocate is likely to result in the least amount of your time and constant interaction. It is also certain to be successful, given the fact that "cleaning" apps are capable of causing widespread corruption... depending on exactly what a user did with them while they were installed. Selectively uninstalling various programs and system modifications is best left to those with an abundance of time and / or curiosity, while the likelihood of success is low. Having (on occasion) an abundance of time and curiosity, I reached that conclusion on my own. I avoid imposing tedious solutions upon someone else.

That is the reason merely uninstalling those bad actors or reinstalling macOS is not likely to help. Follow Steps 2 through 4 anyway, because that will provide a quick answer to that uncertainty.

The essential first step is to create a backup, which you already accomplished. Then, install what you need to use your Mac. For example, you may need to reinstall Adobe and Microsoft apps, but do not reinstall "CleanMyMac", "TechTool" or the Seagate add-ons. Such things convey exactly no benefit to you. No Mac requires them just so that it can work reliably. Apple specifically designed Macs and macOS for maximum performance, while requiring minimal attention. Its reliability, security and performance can only be degraded by using clever third party products claiming those abilities.

You probably no longer need Adobe Flash Player, Java, or Silverlight. None of them are likely to contribute to the problem you described, but in general unless you are 100% certain you require any particular product for the work you do, don't install it.

The balance are up to you, but some of them remain potential troublemakers. As with all software installations, proper use, potential adverse effects, updates to them, and effective uninstallation instructions are all your responsibility.

Aug 2, 2017 10:51 AM in response to John Galt

So the reason I am asking about other less drastic solutions is that I'm not convinced that the problem is necessarily caused by CleanMyMac or any of the other programs you mention. It might be, but so far as I can tell that's just a guess on your part. Though if that impression is wrong please let me know.

This morning I went ahead and uninstalled CleanMyMac, now that I know it's generally not well regarded by all of you. So I'll stop using that. But I'm also hoping someone has more specific insight into this particular problem.

What I'm really hoping for is that someone will stop by this post and say "Oh! Error 35! I know that one, do xy and z and it'll clear that right up." Instead of what is essentially the nuclear option which is what you're proposing. It may come to that, and I appreciate the information on how to do it if it does, but I'm still holding out hope that someone will have some more specific advice.

This issue is annoying but it doesn't actually prevent me from doing most of what I want to do on my iMac. So until I have a lot of free time all in one sitting, something that drastic is going to be low on my priority list. If I can avoid spending an entire day (or more) reinstalling the OS and setting up both my and my wife's accounts (which will also involve at least a few hours of cataloging everything we both use and need reinstalled before I even start on the reinstall), I'd like to avoid it. Again, it may come to that, and if so i'm willing to do it, but it's a very big time commitment and a lot of downtime for the computer which serves a lot of different functions in the household.

Of course I've also just realized that since I just got a new iMac I'm suddenly covered by AppleCare again, so I may just give them a call and see if they can help me. (If I'm really lucky the person I talk to will know exactly what the issue is and we can proceed from there).

Thank you again for the help. And if anyone else has any specific insight or suggestions please let me know.

Aug 2, 2017 11:17 AM in response to Brandonshire

The salient point you seem to want to overlook is that any Mac that has ever been affected by any non-Apple "cleaning" product will no longer be reliable, until the affected Mac has been completely erased and its contents restored from sources unaffected by the alterations they are capable of inflicting on a system. The effects of using such ill-conceived junk are potentially disastrous, widespread, and cannot be predicted. Problems resulting from their use are likely to arise or reappear with every macOS update or upgrade there will ever be, and will continue to reappear until that Mac is completely erased and reconfigured from the ground up.

A Mac unaffected by such junk will work properly. Good luck.

Fast User Switching Problem (Sometimes Cannot open applications with two accounts logged in)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.