Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air shuts down in the middle of logging into account

Hi, I recently installed the latest update from the OS X Sierra and it asked me to restart my Mac. I did so and my screen went blank for 15 minutes without any notification of the progress of the update as they usually appear with the Mac logo and a progress bar. So I switched on my Mac again and tried logging in. However, my Mac immediately shut down halfway when logging in and it just kept happening.

What do I do? I'm worried I might lose all my files if I am unable to login as it kept shutting down halfway.

Is this a software issue or an issue with my Mac Air?

Regards,

Vanessa

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 10:46 AM

1 reply

Jan 1, 2017 2:05 PM in response to liyeanno

Hi Vanessa,

From your post I can tell that your MacBook Air is shutting down unexpectedly when you are trying to log in to your user account. I can understand the concern. I'll be happy to provide some information for you.

The first thing I'd like for you to do is to see if you are able to boot into safe mode, the update may need to complete the install process.

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

If you are still having issues with it unexpectedly shutting down, please follow the steps listed in this article:

OS X: When your computer spontaneously restarts or displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem."

Let us know how this goes. Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good night!

MacBook Air shuts down in the middle of logging into account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.