Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie playback slow while editing

I've done a number of videos in iMovie with little to no issues, but the current project is giving me major problems. I can't play back any clips, as the picture is jerky, freezes and finally goes black. The drive starts running while I'm trying to do editing. While working in iMovie I've had all my other programs closed.

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro, 4GB. Storage usage says 114GB of 248GB is used. I've purged a bunch of files and restarted several times, but performance does not seem to have improved at all. The project is about 13 minutes of clips. I'm not sure what to try next. Do I need more RAM?

I converted the files using Wondershare Converter Ultimate using the selection for HD M4V. Are they in the wrong format? I would like to keep it in HD, and I have previously.

Obviously, I don't have tons of computer knowledge, but I'm very willing to follow directions and take suggestions. I'd greatly appreciate the help. This is for my art business, and I really need to get this project and another out of the way. As it is, I've spent two days now trying to delete files and research solutions with little progress. Many thanks in advance for the help!

MacBook Pro 15", iPod

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 2:32 PM

1 reply

Dec 31, 2016 5:06 PM in response to gearheadd

Hi,

What versions of iMovie and operating system are you running? iMovie 9 misbehaves when run on El Capitan or Sierra.

If that's the case, the solution is to update to current iMovie (version 10.1.4) and El Capitan or Sierra.

The play back symptoms that you describe commonly happen when your computer is not fast enough to keep up with the editing in real time, particularly if the media being used is very high resolution or perhaps you have an i5 processor. 4GB of RAM, as you have on your computer, is sufficient, although it has been said that you never can have enough RAM.

I would try the following diagnostic procedures in order:

1. Restart your computer and then launch iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and then elect to delete preferences from the box that appears.

2. If that doesn't work, Copy/Paste your media to a newly created project and see if that cures the problem.

3. If that doesn't work, try opening iMovie in a new user account. You can use the Guest account on your Mac, or create a new user account for this purpose.

HD M4v normally works O.K. However, you might try converting your media to Mpeg-4/AAC, that iMovie likes and supports.

All else failing, you can try reinstalling iMovie from the app store. Make sure that it is still available before you delete your current iMovie.

Hope this helps.

-- Rich

iMovie playback slow while editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.