Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do 4K videos look bad on my new 5K iMac?

So, I just bought a 27" 5k iMac and the display looks gorgeous! Except that when I went to YouTube in Safari to test out some Ultra HD movie trailers, they didn't look like 4K at all! They looked like 720p on a 27" monitor. So I tried some 4K video tests from tv manufacturers and got the same result. I even dropped the resolution between 720, 1080, and 4K but barely noticed a difference.

I have about 110mbps download speed from Comcast and buffering was not an issue.

Just wondering what the issue is.. Should I take it back??

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 6:47 PM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2017 3:28 AM in response to Justin Thiel

The issue is that you would need to use special processing to

upscale a lower res video to a higher res screen. Without that,

each pixel on the lower res image simply gets enlarged on the

higher res screen. So, unless the player has smoothing/scaling from

lower res to higher res, the results will look pixelated.

Depending on scaling algorithms used by a particular player, going

the other direction (high res image to low res screen) will look good.

If the players algorithm is very simple (just throws out pixels without

any sort of correction), it will look crappy.

Basically, a 5k screen cannot simply add pixels that don't exist

in a 4k image.

Jan 1, 2017 8:28 AM in response to woodmeister50

I do understand your logic, but even a 4K video displayed on a 27" 5k display should still look better than a 4K video on a 50" 1080p display. The math just doesn't make sense. Especially since even if I change the resolution on the iMac the videos always look the same.. Pixelated.

I've read blog post reviews where people are saying the 4K YouTube videos look so crisp and sharp on their 5k iMac, but I'm just not seeing the same result from the same videos on my iMac.

So frustrating after spending all this money...

Jan 1, 2017 8:45 AM in response to Justin Thiel

My personal opinion about 4K: it's not worth the hype. We bought a 4K TV this past year and I have never been so disappointed about the (lack of) picture quality. My old 720p HDTV had a much clearer, sharper, crisper display (and the colors were much better as well). We've had a new card installed after we complained for months (and it takes 3 months or so to get Samsung to actually get past their "automated troubleshooting" steps which we've had to do over and over again.) In any case, it doesn't compare to my old TV and, since it is much too late to return it, we will endure it and hope for an early demise so we can get a decent quality TV.

Why do 4K videos look bad on my new 5K iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.