Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't pair Remote app with Apple TV

I know there are a lot of these questions floating around already but none seem similar to the issue I'm facing. I lost my physical Apple TV (Gen 2) remote and am trying to pair the Remote app (latest version, not the original iTunes remote app). When I open the Remote app it does recognise the Apple TV, I hit "add" and then I'm shown a PIN code to enter into the Apple TV screen. Issue is that the Apple TV doesn't navigate to that screen - I can start the Apple TV by Airplay from my MacBook but then it just sits on the homepage wi..

Surely there is a way to enter a PIN to pair the Remote app without having to use the physical remote first?

Any help would be great, I can't find a replacement remote anywhere nearby so need to persevere with this option.

Thanks!

Apple TV

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 6:02 AM

Hello Richoconsidine,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you cannot enter the code on the Apple TV (2nd Generation) because you are missing the remote. ​I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd Generation), wait for a four-digit code to appear on your iOS device. Then go to Settings > General > Remotes on your Apple TV, select the name of your iOS device, and enter the four-digit code. If your remote is broken or missing, contact Apple Support.​

Set up the Apple TV Remote app
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2017 6:02 AM in response to Richoconsidine

Hello Richoconsidine,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you cannot enter the code on the Apple TV (2nd Generation) because you are missing the remote. ​I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you have an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd Generation), wait for a four-digit code to appear on your iOS device. Then go to Settings > General > Remotes on your Apple TV, select the name of your iOS device, and enter the four-digit code. If your remote is broken or missing, contact Apple Support.​

Set up the Apple TV Remote app
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Can't pair Remote app with Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.