Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically unlock iPhone with Apple Watch

I know I can automatically unlock my Mac with my Apple Watch, but is there a way to automatically unlock my iPhone with my Apple Watch?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 1:21 AM

Hi

No, it is not possible to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch.

However, if you would prefer to only unlock one device at the start of each day (unlocking both when doing so), you may wish to use these settings:

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wrist Detection - turn this on.
  • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode > Turn Passcode on.
  • Also on the Passcode settings screen, enable Unlock with iPhone.

After putting it on your wrist, your watch will then unlock after whatever you do first: either unlocking your watch manually (by entering the passcode) or unlocking your iPhone.

Your watch will then remain unlocked (including when the screen is asleep) until you remove it from your wrist. When you remove your watch, it will lock automatically.

More information:

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd748b87e2a

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2017 1:21 AM in response to miskryie

Hi

No, it is not possible to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch.

However, if you would prefer to only unlock one device at the start of each day (unlocking both when doing so), you may wish to use these settings:

• On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wrist Detection - turn this on.
  • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode > Turn Passcode on.
  • Also on the Passcode settings screen, enable Unlock with iPhone.

After putting it on your wrist, your watch will then unlock after whatever you do first: either unlocking your watch manually (by entering the passcode) or unlocking your iPhone.

Your watch will then remain unlocked (including when the screen is asleep) until you remove it from your wrist. When you remove your watch, it will lock automatically.

More information:

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd748b87e2a

Oct 14, 2017 3:04 AM in response to verdili

verdili wrote:

This should work with not just apple watch but any connected bluetooth device (wireless headphones and activity trackers in particular) - if face id has some inconveniences compared to touch id, this feature would make iPhone X much more appealing to me.

If you would like to submit a feature request to Apple, then you can do so here:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Jun 28, 2017 5:37 AM in response to gmaclif4d

I definitely agree. It would make sense to make it unlock depending on proximity. If your watch is ok your wrist and you go for your phone.. it usually is on that arm of the other. Even if someone grabbed your phone unless they were in the low range it wouldn’t trigger and it’d be hard to miss someone playing on your phone basically in your lap

Nov 26, 2017 12:12 PM in response to gmaclif4d

I can’t believe we are waiting for this still. Anyone who works with their hands - pretty much is going to hate fingerprint unlock. Mine almost never works. So I have to press it over and over and passcode entry finally comes up. I remember the day I could just click the button and type a number without looking.

Automatically unlock iPhone with Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.