Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari wants to use the “Local Items” keychain.

I'm running 10.12.2

I keep getting messages such as:

Mail wants to use the “Local Items” keychain.

<<some app of service>> wants to use the “Local Items” keychain.

And then it prompts me for my keychain pass. Usually it's when I need to enter a pass somewhere, but not always. On the other hand, sometimes the keychain does correctly autofill my password, and doesn't ask me to enter the keychain pass. My unscientific guess is that it asks around 10%-15% of the time and autofills the pass without an issue the rest of the time. I've been trying to figure out what triggers and ask and what doesn't, but to no avail.

Googling the issue, I came across https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5467304?tstart=0

The "Solved Answer" in that question does not apply to me, when I lock and then unlock my keychain it never said to reset my icloud keychain. I have set a custom local keychain password, different than my system admin password, for additional security. I suspect this may be a hangup in my case.

I've also tried these directions multiple times:

1. Open terminal
  2. cd ~/Library/Keychains
  3. ls
    1. When you 'ls' here you will see a folder that contains a bunch of random number liks so:
    2. 94ED610F-DD96-4ECF-A2BC-7D2F8651A464 (this number is unique on each system)
  4. rm -rf 94ED610F-DD96-4ECF-A2BC-7D2F8651A464
  5. Reboot
  6. <when you log back in everything should be back to normal>

No joy on getting the problem to go away. Even though it prompts me for a pass only 10%-15% of the time, if during an average day you think that you maybe need to put in around 100 passwords, that's 10-15 prompts a day. Very annoying.

If anyone has a solution to this, I'm all ears! Thank you.

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 4:32 PM

11 replies

Jan 10, 2017 7:57 PM in response to Jake6877

As we have gone to user library ~/Library keychains & emptied only the contents of keychain folder & NOT Keychain folder into the trash , because pop - ups were creating & prompting to enter passwords .

Now when you change your login password by going to users & groups > change password , it will match your keychain password & it is always kept the same as per article : Keychain Access: login keychain

And , when ever you login to apple id , I cloud id , webmail they will be filled up in empty keychain .Open safari & its preferences & click on Autofill check the box of user name & password so that when you login the password will be automatically filled up in the keychain & passwords are saved in encrypted form , even you can not read the passwords an article for it : macOS Sierra: keychain , your wireless network password ( is already filled up - you must verify by opening airport utility via spotlight & click on edit enter your wireless network password ) .

You can follow a method to avoid keychain corruption :

Open keychain access via spotlight , choose its preferences ( press command + comma ) , click on general tab & select show keychain status in menu bar a padlock icon appears in the menu bar at the extreme top right hand side of your desktop .

To lock the screen , manually click the padlock icon & choose lock screen as per this article : Improve the security of your Back to My Mac network - Apple Support

Note : The user must " ALWAYS " write down the four digit I cloud verification code , web mail id , I cloud id , Apple ID , wireless network id , login name & their passwords in a diary .

Jan 2, 2017 9:48 PM in response to DonH49

So I disabled the icloud keychain from within icloud in sys prefs, but then when I opened the keychain app it miraculously got enabled again all on it's own...

What if I delete the login keychain in the keychain access app? Would it be automatically recreated? The big thing is I would still keep all my icloud keychain items, correct? I don't want to lose all my passwords....

Jan 10, 2017 5:27 PM in response to Jake6877

If your iCloud Keychain is corrupted then before following the steps , make sure you must have four digit I cloud verification in your records , all web mail id . I cloud ID , Apple ID , wireless network ID & their passwords respectively & registered mobile ( switched as on ) .

Click on go to go folder & type ~/Library go to folder keychains & select ( can use command + A ) alfa numeric folder , loginkeychain -db , meta data .keychain -db & delete ( command + delete ) to the trash . Restart & empty the trash .

A pop - up appears on the desktop this Mac can’t connect to I cloud because of a problem with ……web mail is written open I cloud preferences to fix this problem

( a ) later ( b ) I cloud preferences , so click on I cloud preferences .

Go to system preferences click on google mail , contacts & 3 more it prompts to enter web mail password , click on next .

Then click on I cloud , I cloud drive & 8 more on the right side check the box of key chain , an pop -up appears enter your Apple ID password & set up I cloud keychain .

Password ….required enter the password in the empty field ( a ) cancel ( b ) ok , click on ok

An pop up appears to set up I cloud keychain on this Mac request approval from one of your other devices using I cloud keychain .if no other devices are available , use I cloud security code ( a ) use code ( b ) cancel ( c ) request approval so , click on use code .

Enter your four digit I cloud security code & click on next enter the verification code ( 6 numbered ) sent to the mobile .

Open airport utility via spotlight & click on base station & enter the wireless network password

( a ) remember this password in my keychain ( cancel , ok) so click on ok .

Open safari & set the home page once again .

Note : The above method will empty all your passwords from the keychain , but if you have 4 digit I cloud verification code that is constant for the user , it is very easy to configure the iCloud Keychain once again .

Jan 10, 2017 5:31 PM in response to tygb

Well the above DID solve my issue... however now I have the default system password as the login keychain password. I've always had a different pass for my login keychain for added security. Now if I change the login keychain pass, it should just ask for my new password once to unlock the login keychain, not 10-15 times a day, correct?

Apr 3, 2017 7:02 PM in response to RonEdwards

I have narrowed the issue down to the iCloud keychain locking when It doesn't seem it should, i.e. when I'm logged in and using the mac. On the Mac I have that doesn't give me this problem, when i log in, the iCloud keychain unlocks and stays locked.

On the Mac where I get the message, the iCloud keychain locks after a certain period of time, that's when the pop up message appears.

So it would seem the issue is how to keep the keychain unlocked?

Apr 6, 2017 12:17 AM in response to RonEdwards

OK, finally worked this out, hope it helps someone else with the same issue. The reason the pop up message occurs is due to the keychain being locked, the password unlocks it. After a period of time, it seems to lock again.

For me the problem seems to be the "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins". I unchecked this box, rebooted my Mac and I had no problems. I then checked the box again and continued to have no problems and haven't since! I had the exact same problem on a second Mac and following this procedure, also eliminated the problem here.

Somehow it would seem the Mac got confused and thought it was in lock mode and constantly locked the keychain. Not sure what triggered this, but fixed now!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.