Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the .AAE files?

When i import my pictures from iphone to my windows computer, there is always an aae file along with every import. What is it and can i delete it?

Also what is that folder below, Called "Camera Roll", and has 2 other folders inside, and inside are some AAE files? Can i delete it without affecting anything else?

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 10:08 PM

Ok, so basically if i delete the aae file it will revert the image to original?

7 replies

Jan 1, 2017 8:08 PM in response to adtse

If you no longer want to retain the "edits" you made, then the files appear to have no value to you.

Delete them at your risk.

Here is Apple's recommended way to import photos from an IiOS device to a PC. I don't believe this is what you have done. I don't believe you should be moving those files/folders from iOS to your PC manually.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Jan 1, 2017 7:15 PM in response to adtse

.AAE is a extension generated by apple or we can say i operating system (ios)AAE format is XML based format that contains all the edits and adjustments made on a particular digital photograph (.jpg). This means that no matter what changes the user makes on some photo, the original will be always preserved.

Thus every picture edited by Apple Photos will be accompanied by the corresponding aae filewith the changes. When you transfer the photos between iOS devices or to your computer, the .aae files will be copied together with the .jpg files.

Jan 1, 2017 10:10 PM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen wrote:

Here is Apple's recommended way to import photos from an IiOS device to a PC. I don't believe this is what you have done. I don't believe you should be moving those files/folders from iOS to your PC manually.

I use that method all the time, I don't manually import them. I actually discovered that feature myself when I once wanted to charge my phone by connecting it to my computer.

What is the .AAE files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.