Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Plus camera extreme flare

Randomly, the camera on my iPhone 7+ (running iOS 10.2) starting being really weird. There is a HUGE flare whenever there is a light source in the camera shot.

To demonstrate:

My kitchen lights taken on my mum's iPhone 5C:

User uploaded file

Same shot taken on my phone:

User uploaded file

Tried resetting but it didn't do anything. As far as I can see the lens is not scratched but it may just be too fine for me to see it. But I noticed if I tap the lens the flare changes direction??? like from vertical to horizontal, it's really weird.

Any ideas what could be causing this bizarre issue and how to solve it??

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2017 10:56 AM

I had this issue too when taking selfies on my 7+ front camera, so I contacted apple and now I am not seeing this issue.

Do the following:

1. Ensure that the lens is clean. Oils/grease on top of the lens can refract the light in this manner.

2. Close all apps

3. Restart the phone

4. Turn on the flashlight via the control center

5. Turn off the flashlight via the control center

6. Test out your camera.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2017 10:56 AM in response to Samantha-Jo

I had this issue too when taking selfies on my 7+ front camera, so I contacted apple and now I am not seeing this issue.

Do the following:

1. Ensure that the lens is clean. Oils/grease on top of the lens can refract the light in this manner.

2. Close all apps

3. Restart the phone

4. Turn on the flashlight via the control center

5. Turn off the flashlight via the control center

6. Test out your camera.

Apr 26, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Samantha-Jo

Hi

If you have not yet done so, it may help to update your iPhone to the latest software, starting by making a backup:

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Otherwise - including if you are concerned about a potential manufacturing defect - follow the instructions here, including contacting Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider if necessary:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iPhone 7 Plus camera extreme flare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.