Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15" 2016 MBP Touch Bar black after sleep

I have never been one to use the sleep function of any computer, but since someone at Apple decided that a password is more secure than a fingerprint, and stopped fingerprints working from a restart or cold boot, I have started using sleep otherwise Touch ID is useless.

Most of the time it works fine, but I have found consistently that the touch bar does not recover from sleep but stays black and a restart is required to make it work again. This would seem to be a bug, is anyone else having this or found a way to make it work without rebooting?

NicW

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2, 15" 2016 Macbook Pro 16GB 256GB SSD

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2017 2:07 PM

Nick,

I have the exact same issue with my brand new 13" MacBook Pro with touch bar. I noticed that the touch bar will eventually turn on after as long as 45 seconds to a minute but it certainly is not normal behavior.

Have you called Apple Support about this?

7 replies

Apr 26, 2017 3:03 PM in response to nicwilson58

Same issue with a 13" Touch Bar model. I am docked in clamshell mode to an external display most of the time, and find that the Touch Bar is often black and disabled when the unit has been sleeping and I then disconnect it from the external display. Oftentimes the unit itself has some trouble waking up, but once it does, the Touch Bar is blacked out and unresponsive. I've tried the various terminal commands to restart it, but they do not work.

Hopefully a software update fixes the issue soon.

Jun 25, 2017 7:29 PM in response to nicwilson58

I just had this happen to me after the mbp went to sleep because the battery was low. The fingerprint recognition was still working, but nothing else lit up. I searched web for a way to re-enable, but couldn't find a working solution so rebooted. Touch bar came back after reboot. It has been working perfectly since I bought the machine 6 months ago, obviously there is an underlying issue with the sleep function. Will report this as a bug to Apple...

Sep 19, 2017 12:00 PM in response to bryanus

Same here, I use my MBP 13" at work with the LG 5k ultrafine, and almost always (at least two times out of three) I have problems with USB peripherals or the touch bar after docking or undocking.

After undocking and opeing the lid, often the touch bar remains black, but TouchID still works (but the rest of the touch bar is not responsive). Sometimes TouchID also crashes in a way that it locks up apps that want to use it (like 1Password).

This is extremely annoying because the only thing I can do is restart the machine, which is exactly not what one wants to do in the middle of ongoing work. I am using a laptop in order to be able to pause work at the office and continue elsewhere, and this is what's not working with this machine :-(

15" 2016 MBP Touch Bar black after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.