Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Crash (macOS Sierra 10.12.2)

Dear all,

I am running Preview on the latest 15-inch rMBP w/Touch Bar.

While saving a PDF as a differently sized PDF (I manually created two new formats, Quarto and Octavo, which are used in the sheet-music printing industry) the program crashed.

The document was correctly printed, though ...

I have saved the error code in a textEdit document. If anybody wants to see the code (or a specific part of it) to be of help please let me know. Thanks

All the best

B.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.1), Radeon Pro 460

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 2:18 PM

Thank you, and thank you for posting the crash log.

It seems unlikely that the content of the four fields would cause this crash.

The crash isn't in the printing code, so I am not sure what to suggest. Sorry. I am glad you have a workaround, but it would be helpful, if you are wiling, to send feedback to Apple with this bug and the reproducible steps.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2017 2:18 PM in response to NotationMaster

Thank you, and thank you for posting the crash log.

It seems unlikely that the content of the four fields would cause this crash.

The crash isn't in the printing code, so I am not sure what to suggest. Sorry. I am glad you have a workaround, but it would be helpful, if you are wiling, to send feedback to Apple with this bug and the reproducible steps.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Jan 3, 2017 1:41 PM in response to John Blanchard1

Yes, sorry, page sizes ... I should work on my practical English!

Anyway, I ran some tests and, actually, it crashes only when it prints the PDF in the same folder where the original file (the one in A4 size) was stored. It successfully saves it but then the application crashes. If I print to the Desktop, nothing bad happens. Also I wonder what is the function of the four fillable spaces when I save as PDF called: Title, Author, Object, Keywords.

Does the fact that the name of the source file stays the same within the two (one in the A4 and one in the Quarto size)?

As requested, I wanted to post the crash log here but it says, while trying to post, "The message contains invalid characters".

Can I send it to you in any other way or maybe attaching a file ...

Thanks for your help

Jan 4, 2017 11:47 AM in response to John Blanchard1

You were of help!

Anyway, there is a development: as I am a quite curious user I always try workarounds and, unchecking the 'hide extension' box in the save window prevents the app from crashing.

As this actually doesn't change anything within the file, I will just go for it.

I read in the news that Apple is changing something into the PDFKit and that the Preview App is now considered non-reliable.

Whatever ... I will keep using it as long as it doesn't create bigger problems.

All the best, John!

Preview Crash (macOS Sierra 10.12.2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.